Cricket - How To Shell A Catch Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cricket - How To Shell A Catch

1 Conversation

A pair of hands, in wicket-keeper's gloves, holding a cricket ball.

They say that 'catches win matches', but they all too easily lose them as well. A catch might get rid of a batsman just when he's getting going, but if that catch is dropped it often proves to be the turning point in the game. Famous examples include Herschelle Gibbs' drop of Steve Waugh in the 1999 World Cup semi-final, when Waugh turned to Gibbs and said 'You've just dropped the World Cup, mate!' Then there's Shane Warne's 'You've just dropped the Ashes, mate!' comment to Kevin Pietersen in the Ashes Test at the Oval in 2005.

But what have shells got to do with this? Simple catches that are dropped by fielders are often described as 'shelled' catches: the fielder wraps his hands around the ball and it then pops out as if he were shelling a nut. Shelled catches are the most embarrassing of all, as they are the ones fielders expect to catch most of the time.

So, a little unconventionally, this Entry is going to tell you how to shell a catch should you wish to. Most of the time, of course, you're not going to want to shell catches, but there are some circumstances when it might be appropriate. Perhaps you're playing in a friendly and the opposition captain's 12-year-old son has just skied his first ball in your general direction, or you've given a result prediction to a bookmaker. In these circumstances, it would be best to drop the ball while giving the impression that you were trying your best to catch it. If you don't look like you were trying, your gesture will appear patronising, or the police will become involved, or both. It's important to know how to catch so that you know how to shell one, too.

Step by step, then, here are the important rules to remember should you ever need to shell a catch.

  • Preparation is key. If you watch good fielders you'll notice they tend to walk towards the batsman as the ball is bowled, and close fielders rock forward onto the balls of their feet. They are primed like crouching tigers, ready to make the most of any opportunity that comes their way. As a result, they are ready to hang on to the majority of catches. So feign disinterest. As the bowler bowls the ball, check the scoreboard or your watch, pick your nose, and rock nonchalantly back on your heels. This will reduce your chances of hanging onto the catch immeasurably.

  • Lose sight of the ball. A good fielder will be watching closely as the ball leaves the bat, picking up the trajectory quickly and giving himself time to move into position to take the catch. This is called 'picking up the flight of the ball early'. So it's important that, as soon as the ball is hit, you lose sight of it. Put your hand on your forehead to shield your eyes from an imaginary glare and, as soon as your team starts to shout 'catch it!', look around in feverish bewilderment. A great tip, if you're fielding late in the day, is to stand in a position where the batsman is directly between you and the Sun. That way, you'll have a perfect excuse for dropping the ball, because it's very difficult to see the ball when it's 'coming out of the Sun'.

  • Don't call for the ball. Under no circumstances should you call 'Mine!'; this means you have everything under control and that nobody else should attempt the catch. Shelling the ball now would just be embarrassing. If a team-mate calls 'Mine!', ignore him and get in his way, running into him if necessary. It will give everyone a good laugh, and you can always claim you didn't hear the call. Everyone has at least one bad ear, right?

  • Get into a catching position as late as possible. Fielders who have been watching carefully and have picked up the flight of the ball will be able to judge its trajectory and get into position with relative ease. Once there, they'll stand in a solid triangular position, with feet apart, leaving them with only the catch itself to worry about. Instead of this, take a couple of steps forward, then a couple of steps back, as if the ball is swirling in the air. Only stand under it at the very last moment.

  • Go at the ball. Fielders normally hold their hands above their head and use 'soft hands', meaning their hands 'give' as the ball arrives. Their hands will come down into their chest, gently cupping the ball and slowing it down to a standstill, rather than trying to stop it dead. Their bodies will be totally relaxed at this point; it's like dropping a golf ball onto a cushion rather than a concrete surface. This is an important technique, and one that is not practised enough. To shell the catch, push your palms out towards the ball, keeping your hands, arms and body as tense as possible – ensuring your fingers are well out of the way, of course – and the ball will invariably bounce out again.

  • Pick up and throw the ball back quickly and efficiently. It's important that you make the 'mistake' look like a one-off. Continuing the incompetence beyond this point may see you lose your place in the side.

Of course, should you wish to take catches rather than shell them, concentrate and be active in the field. You'll find it easier to take catches if you keep your energy levels up and expect, even want, every ball to come to you. And, of course, practice!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A46377679

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more