A Conversation for Could Atlantis Still Exist?

The true location of a previously inhabited land mass

Post 1

banyanmark

During the last ice age aprox 12,000 years ago and then again during the shorter "Younger Dryas Event" between 9000bc & 7500bc the shallow seas encompassed by Indonesia, Philipines, Malaysian/Sthn Thai penninsular and Vietnam were ALL above water. The sea levels at that time were over 200 metres lower than present. The dry land mass was covered with both tropical/temperate forest AND savannah grasslands.
There would be little physical evidence of man made structures left as they were most probably made of wood & bamboo (as is still the case today)
Chevron shaped dunes along both the sth Vietnam & Cambodian shore line along with similar structures in Nth West Borneo seem to point to a comet impact generated tsunami. Recent dicoveries in both West Australia & Sthn Madagascar pointed to the 4000-5000 year old Burckle Crater on the Indian Ocean floor.
Sea floor maps of the Sunda Shelf-Sth China Sea area show what is possibly an impact crater just north of Indonesias "Natuna Islands" or Natuna Besar.
If I were to search the globe for a "geologically recent" sunken land mass; I'd look right at the Sunda Shelf-South China Sea-Sahul Shelf region. Plato mentioned that the great continent could be reached across the seas by island hopping. Take a look at the continent called Australia.


LOST CONTINENT or just LOST "IT"

Post 2

banyanmark

Two good rules of thumb are:
#1. Absence of evidence DOES NOT mean evidence of absence.
(No evidence will be forth coming so long as no-one's looking for it!!)

#2. Will the available evidence hold up in a court of law?
(Whether right or not; Death Row is full of people convicted merely on the strength of circumstantial evidence, without a corpse or smoking gun!!)
===============================================================

This is 'Part ONE':
Recently there has been considerable debate over so-called "Lost or Sunken Continents"; and whether they actually existed in reality or in peoples imagination. Unfortunately whenever this subject is raised; inevitably the 'A' word comes up (Atlantis), with all the associated baggage attached.
Ever since Plato's dialogues concerning an advanced civilisation that sank beneath the waves following some "Wrath of the Gods" catastophe; people have tried to place this fabled land everywhere from the Mediterrean, Africa, the mid Atlantic, the Americas and even an impossibly ice free Antarctica.
We now that there is absolutely NO geological possibility of there ever being a missing mid-Atlantic continent.
Even the planet Mars has been offered up as the location of the 'true' Atlantis. Maybe they were keen watchers of the TV show 'Star Gate Atlantis' (!?!) Then theres the starry eyed New Ager's insistance that the Atlanteans were a divine race of being who (possibly with the aid of extra-terrestrials) had flying machines and energy crystals and blah blah blah,...ad infinitum.
Add to this the Third Reich and Heinreich Himmler's so called Master Race of Atlantis; also conveniently located under two miles of Antarctic ice.(Hence the Nazi mythology of "Ice and Iron")
And you can begin to see why "The 'A' word" is such a negatively loaded subject, that most sane investigators give a wide berth.

Fortunately, recent scientific research into this subject has started to turn up some interesting facts and figures.
For example, where could you hide a piece of real estate the size of a small continent (or a.k.a. 'Sub-Continent') without resorting to flights of fancy about an ice free Antarctic or a non-existant mid-oceanic land mass?
A very convincing answer to that was put forward by several people in the late 1990's. Known as the Sunda Shelf or SUNDALAND; this region of Southeast Asia is bordered by Indonesia to the south, Malaysia to the west, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam to the north, the South China Sea to the northeast and the island of Borneo to the west.
Now covered by the shallow seas of the Gulf of Thailand, the South China Sea and the Malacca Straits; this portion of the globe was dry land until the end of the period of ice age known as the Younger Dryas around the eighth millennium B.C.

For many years, Southeast Asia was generally considered an archeological and cultural backwater, living in the shadow of neighbouring China and India. However, the recent discoveries of 9000 year old agricultural terracing in places such as Kuk in the Papua New Guinnea highlands. The Kuk Swamp terraces in Papua New Guinnea were constructed aprox. 3000 years before the development of agriculture in the so-called 'fertile cresent' area in the mid-east.
Evidence of 7000 year old rice cultivation in the region around Ban Chiang in Thailand, have meant that this region was 'agriculturally developed' a full millennium BEFORE China and at least 1500 years before India. Also found at Ban Chiang is evidence of copper and bronze smithing dating back to nearly 1800 years before the first such finds in the middle east. Although in all fairness; I must state that over the last 2 decades there have been many attempts to date Ban Chiang finds using [Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator] isotope. Unfortunately it appears that no two experts can agree (!?!) But recent dendrochronological (dating using tree-rings) studies of worked timber found at the site have produced tentative dates around the fifth & sixth millennium B.C.
Indonesia, Malaysia and Southern Thailand are rich sources of both tin and copper deposits, the two basic ingredients of BRONZE. Both these minerals have been mined and smelted in this region for several thousand years.

I will post more on this thread later......


Key: Complain about this post

The true location of a previously inhabited land mass

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more