A Conversation for Scales in Music

Cutting in half

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

If you continue to cut a string in half, all you will get is notes in octaves higher than the original note. To get the notes in between such as the dominant, you have to cut it in other fractions, such as 3/4, 8/9 etc.

It's not quite true to say that "actually C# is different from Db". This depends on which scale you are using. In the Equal Temperament scale which is used in all "western" music since about 1750, they are the same. In the just intonation diatonic scale (which is the one that it is claimed most violin players and singers use) they are also almost exactly the same. It is only in the "mean tone" scale used by early keyboard designers that they are different.


Cutting in half

Post 2

HollePolle

At the ratio of somewhat like 72/73 is the comma, which must be something like a semitone distributed among 5 octaves. As far as I know the comma is also called pythagoras's comma, isn't it?

ยป--

HP.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more