Subtle Prawn Curry Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Subtle Prawn Curry

2 Conversations

This isn't a recipe for your average curry and lager-loving lad. Instead, this is a very delicate recipe; it's more about successfully mixing flavours than just using lots of chilli. It has no heat but it tastes wonderful. The ingredients may not seem all that enticing and it's tempting to add some greenery, but it's really best just to serve greens alongside the dish as opposed to adding them to it when cooking.

Serves 2 medium portions.

Ingredients

  • Enough rice for two people, about two small cups
  • 200g prawns
  • Olive oil
  • Ginger root - an amount the size of four cloves of garlic
  • A clove of garlic
  • 3/4 red mild chilli - the ones which are about 10cm long
  • A tin of coconut milk
  • Salt and pepper

Method

  1. Skin and finely chop the ginger and garlic. Cut the chilli open lengthways and remove seeds and pith.

  2. Chop off half of one of the halves and keep to use for something else. Slice the remaining chilli.

  3. Cook the rice as normal, timing it so it will be ready when the curry is. Heat a wok on a high heat for a few minutes, then add some oil.

  4. Fry the prawns (if they are frozen or pre-cooked, just heat them through/thaw them), then add the ginger, garlic and chilli. Season.

  5. Heat the ginger, garlic and chilli through for a minute, don't let them colour. Add the tin of coconut milk.

  6. Heat until it bubbles a little, then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Then turn the heat up and reduce for 5 minutes or until you're happy with the consistency. You may need to add more salt and pepper at this stage.

  7. Take off heat and serve with the rice.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A455870

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more