A Conversation for Infant Colic and What to Do About It

Some comments

Post 1

SchrEck Inc.

I tend to believe that infants colics are caused from babies' digestive system not being fully developed and therefore producing surplus gas, this conforming with babies' tight bellies. In Germany, infants colics are called 'three month colics' because in most cases the colics are usually decreasing miraculously after three months - yet another magic '3'. The best method in my opinion is to apply warmth to the aching belly with a hot water bottle; this worked best with our daughter anyway.


Some comments

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

I was told (also in Germany) to use a bag full of Cherry stones (Kirschkernsacke). This sounds crazy but apparently (we didn't get plagued by colic) you warm it up in the microwave for a short time, lay the baby on its' side and tuck the bag under the abdomen area.

Also things to watch out for: (since I too am convinced it comes from their underdeveloped diatry tract combined with what they drink/eat) if you're breastfeeding you should stay away from anything which might cause you wind (especially onions, cabbage & cucumber); don't eat anything too fatty, too salty, too sweet - you're in for bland food for the duration; nothing spicy (because as well as colic, this can give them terribly sore little bottoms).

You can help, if they have colic, by sitting down and placing the baby on it's tummy accross your knees. Also you could try lying the baby on it's back and rubbing the tummy gently with small circular motions. Lie the baby on it's side when it goes to sleep, this seems to help the wind escape naturally.

Most of all: if you have a supportive partner, make up the sleep you loose at night. It is really really important when you have a small baby to get all the sleep you can, and get away from that horrible heart-rending colicky cry. A happy parent is a better parent!

I'm not a doctor or midwife, but I have 2 small kids and all this worked for me, and for my friends.


Some comments

Post 3

SchrEck Inc.

Ha! If I only had known how to translate 'Kirschkernsack' into English I would have mentioned it, too. smiley - smiley These useful things work just as a hot water bottle without the risk of overheating and without the risk of hot water leaking out of them.


Some comments

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

But, I have never ever heard an English person (apart from those of us over here) mention them. Cherries aren't really so much a part of English culture as they are here.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more