Bottlefly - the Band Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bottlefly - the Band

1 Conversation

So long to the bad times
Good times have been a long, long time coming

- 'Long Time Coming', Bottlefly

This lyric is taken from 'Long Time Coming', the first track on the eponymously-titled debut album by London exports Bottlefly. Considering the upturn in fortunes of the band and its musicians ('Long Time Coming' is destined to be featured on a Cheerios commercial) the lyrics of this song seem to be almost prophetic. After long stints with other groups, co-founders Mark Arnell and Richie Wermerling found the perfect vehicle in 1997 to pool their many influences, which range from classic '60s pop to soaring '90s rock.

Bottlefly are:

  • Mark Arnell: vocals, co-producer
  • Richie Wermerling: keyboards, co-producer
  • Lizzard: guitar
  • Lawrence Addison: bass
  • Danny Martin: drums

Bottlefly's debut album (co-produced by Eric Caudieux, Arnell, and Wermerling) is truly a melting pot combining diverse sounds, influences and experiences. It has a universal, carnival-like vibe combining 'pet sounds', sinister clowns, drug dealers, silver-clad dancing girls, and even a lyrical nod to Academy Award winner Michael Caine.

We really were not conscious of emulating the contemporary pop trends happening around the world. We were looking to combine modern recording techniques with a vintage pop song-based sound - Mark Arnell

Wermerling originally entered the project as a producer/songwriter after hearing Arnell sing, but his array of keyboard sounds could not be duplicated by anyone else.

The two retreated to Richie's basement home studio in London, dubbed 'The Purple Shed' because that was the colour they painted the walls, and proceeded to create the songs that would eventually make up their maiden effort. 'We put all the ideas into a cauldron and let it brew', Arnell laughs. He called on three fellow members of his previous band, The Velvet Dogs - Isle of Man guitarist Lizzard, Leeds-based drummer Danny Martin, and Surrey native Lawrence Addison (Sir George Martin's former bass player) - to flesh out the sound. The fact that four of the members played together for eight years prior to this project means that the Bottelfly sound has a palpable tightness that comes across in all of its arrangements.

The first single, 'Lemoneyez', typifies the group's approach, as a gently strummed acoustic interlude explodes into a cathartic trip laced together with ethereal harmonies and cascading string samples. Mixed by Mike Fraser (Aerosmith, AC/DC), Bottlefly bubbles with variety. The tunes are great; running the gamut from the upbeat, tongue-in-cheek optimism of 'Long Time Coming', 'Sunshine', and 'Strawberry' to the acid-drenched sensuality of 'Umbrella', the jumped-up ska/dance-hall reggae of 'Got 2 B Love', the carnival-like calliope1 of 'Clowns', the Beatlesesque doo-wop of 'Silver Revolver', the cynical Kinks-like double-entendres of 'Michael Caine' and the Bowie-esque set-piece finale, a literally show-stopping East meets West final track opus complete with 'Stairway To Heaven' guitars and Indian sitars.

Bottlefly offers a potent pop buzz that drags the past kicking and screaming into the future. It's no surprise they get their name from an actual fly that was captured by Arnell and imprisoned in a jar. The insect finally gave his life after being recorded for the title track.

This album represents everything we've ever listened to or played. When I first met Richie, we were just having a good laugh. We just wanted to get together and have a scream. But we got on a roll and all these songs came out. We want to take this as far as it can go. We hope to put smiles on as many faces as possible. There's pretty much something on here for everyone - Mark Arnell

It sounds like Bottlefly has captured pop lightning in a jar.

1'An American keyboard instrument resembling an organ but with the notes produced by steam whistles' - Concise Oxford Dictionary.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A447932

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more