A Conversation for Psychophysics

Small animals senses

Post 1

The Cow

Actually, it'd be easier to start with human senses - dog's have 20x hearing, 2x sight and 40x taste (or something like that) of what we have.


Small animals senses

Post 2

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

On the other hand, that's simple sensory acuity, rather than cognitive clarity. A decent microphone can pick up a world of sounds that a human couldn't, but the trick - it seems - is in understanding the psychic interpretation rather than the basic mechano-chemical reception.

Regardless of the increased levels of information, a dog's worldview - the way in which it perceives, rather than merely senses - is going to be rather simpler than a human's; likewise a child's is less complex than an adults. This parallels - in part - Alan Turing's suggestion that a thinking machine should initially be based around a model of a child's brain and allowed to grow.

And I'm pretty sure a dog's vision is not as good as a human's (as near as anyone can tell). While we may not have the best night vision, or the best distance vision, humans do have pretty much the greatest visual depth of any species. This again is to do with the complexity of our cognition, rather than superiority of sense organs.

The Prophet.


Small animals senses

Post 3

The Cow

We have neither sensory acuity nor cognitive clarity at the moment.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more