A Conversation for Psychophysics

Psychophysics demonstrations

Post 1

danshawen

Optic nerve pathways conduct faster with increasing illumination. This effect is strong enough so that if you cover one eye with a lens from a pair of dark sunglasses and observe something like a pendulum swinging in a straight line, it will appear to be following an elliptical path. Wearing sunglasses, by the way, can protect your eyes from UV rays and reduce glare (if linearly polarized), but if you wear them while driving, it may also delay your reaction time by a noticeable amount (enough even to cause accidents!).

Having sex in a room that is painted blue reportedly enhances the experience of climax, but I wouldn't really know if this actually works (because our bedroom has always been blue, and why would anyone wish to tamper with perfection?).

These surely merit mention in this article, no? Check them out (don't take my word for it), and if it fits, you have my permission to include them both. They surely are in keeping with the spirit of h2g2.


Key: Complain about this post

Psychophysics demonstrations

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more