A Conversation for Melbourne, Australia

Just out of interest...

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

...are any of you researchers still around?

Got a potential opportunity to move to Melbourne from the UK home counties and have about a billion questions!


Just out of interest...

Post 2

Ivan the Terribly Average

I'm not sure if there's many Melbournites still around the place; I think Taralome pops up from time to time.

I can probably give some advice from the point of view of a regular visitor but a non-resident. If you think this would help, fire away.

smiley - redwineIvan.


Just out of interest...

Post 3

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Great! Tell me everything smiley - winkeye

I guess with a sub-heading of 'Family life in Melbourne' or 'Where not to live'. We'd be moving our kids out with us so need to know whn they start school (eldest has already started here but we start them early so it might be later there) and if there are any really big things we'd need to consider for planning purposes.

Will be back with some more specific qustions when my head stops spinning!


Just out of interest...

Post 4

Ivan the Terribly Average

The 'where to live' thing would depend on where you work more than anything else; there are a few bits of Melbourne I wouldn't especially recommend, but they tend to be outer suburbs with poor transport facilities and so forth. Some of the inner suburbs might be a bit challenging with young children, but other inner suburbs wouldn't be a problem at all.


Just out of interest...

Post 5

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Hmmm, we have got the package information now, so it feels more real!

Been offered the choice of working out of Sydney or Melbourne - not sure how to decide that really!


Just out of interest...

Post 6

Ivan the Terribly Average

My choice would be Melbourne - and this is despite the fact that the love of my life lives in Sydney.

Elsewhere, RF compared Sydney to LA and Melbourne to San Francisco, which is a reasonable comparison at least in terms of temperament. Both cities have all mod cons and so forth, and both cities have their problems, but Melbourne's a little more relaxed. Sydney can be really intense sometimes. Melbourne's better designed. Sydney has glitz and glamour and the harbour, but Melbourne has more brain to it. It's a bit more sophisticated than Sydney in some ways; it doesn't rely on spectacular geography to attract people.

The Melbourne vs Sydney comparison/rivalry has been festering for more than a century. It's hard to come down definitely on one side or the other.


Just out of interest...

Post 7

U168592

For children, Melbourne.


Key: Complain about this post