Omelette Sandwich Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Omelette Sandwich

6 Conversations

Processed bread and eggs can seem a little uninspiring at the best of times, but here is a recipe that will transform these humble ingredients into the king of sandwiches.

Ingredients

  • Sliced brown or white bread, buttered
  • 1 or 2 eggs1
  • A dash of milk
  • Peas (fresh or frozen)
  • Sliced mushrooms - oyster mushrooms are particularly good
  • Butter and/or olive oil (for frying)
  • Brie, Camembert, blue cheese2
  • Salt) and black pepper to taste

Preparation

  1. Heat the oil and butter in a small omelette pan until the butter has melted and started to bubble.

  2. Add the mushrooms and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.

  3. Stir around so that the mushrooms are all coated in the butter/oil and leave to cook for a while.

  4. In the meantime, beat the egg with a little milk and some salt and pepper. You may add some herbs at this stage - tarragon or thyme are good with egg dishes.

  5. The mushrooms should be starting to brown a bit.

  6. Add the peas, turn up the heat and stir vigorously.

  7. Make sure there is enough oil/butter in the pan, and add the egg.

  8. Give it a good stir around to distribute the mushrooms and peas.

  9. While the omelette is cooking get your bread ready.

  10. On one slice per pair, place slices of your chosen cheese3.

  11. When the egg is set, flip (or turn) the omelette to cook the second side.

  12. Using a fish slice (plastic if using a non-stick pan) gently quarter the omelette and place two pieces on top of the cheese.

  13. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and eat while still hot.

1As a general rule, one egg makes 1 ½ rounds of sandwiches.2Or any cheese that will melt.3This is also a good time to make a mug of tea/coffee to drink with your sandwich.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A442694

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more