The Stony Brook School, New York, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Stony Brook School, New York, USA

0 Conversations

The Stony Brook School is a private school on the eastern end of Long Island, New York. Usually having a student body of less than 400, it is one of the more unique schools to be found in America.

The faculty teachers live on campus with the students, literally wall to wall. Built in the 1920s, the campus is starting to show its age and survives through donations, often from ex-students.

The school certainly leaves its mark on people who have studied there. With its family atmosphere, some people have been known to want to stay forever. This feeling, for a learning institution, is indeed unusual.

Only 90 minutes from New York City and close to the Atlantic, sailing is a popular pastime with students. Lacrosse and track and field are other pursuits many people enjoy. Most of the facilities and equipment, such as the Olympic-standard running track and large number of boats, are donated.

The excellent Smithhaven Mall is about 30 minutes away. Closer to the school is a 7-Eleven store, a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins and just down the street you will find a pizza place named Dominos. Travel further east and you discover Ichi, one of the areas better restaurants, serving Asian food.

Travel even further east and you will arrive at the Port Jefferson railway terminus. The sunrises and sunsets around there are stunning. An excellent spot to enjoy the sunset is on the ferry that leaves here heading for Connecticut.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A430138

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more