A Conversation for Darwin in the Dock - the Scopes Trial

Evolution in Tennessee

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Nice entry.smiley - smiley And well-timed: I noticed it just I was in the middle of a discussion on the subject of William Jennings Bryan, in many ways a fine man who championed the cause of the common man's need for protection against bankers (very topical right now).

I attended primary school in Tennessee. In the 1950s-1960s.

When I was ten, I was reading a book about paleontology, and got puzzled, so I went to my teacher and asked, in all innocence, where the dinosaurs fit in the Genesis account. (In other words, on which 'day' were dinosaurs created?)

This delightful woman turned three shades of pale - the book I was reading was her personal property. She answered something about seven days not necessarily being seven days, which seemed logical to me, so I thanked her.

It was years later that I realised why my teacher almost fainted - it was illegal for her to say anything about Charlie Darwin to a kid in Tennessee.

I don't believe they repealed that law until I was in high school (in Pennsylvania, where they told you all sorts of things).

Bless her heart, I wouldn't have ratted her out.


Evolution in Tennessee

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - wow An eyewitness account, too!

But she's right. What's seven days to a god who controls the sun? He can make them any length he wants. smiley - winkeye


Evolution in Tennessee

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That's what I thought. Author's privilege.


Evolution in Tennessee

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - laugh One way of putting it...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Darwin in the Dock - the Scopes Trial

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more