A Conversation for Roman Roads In Britain Today

London - Lewes Roman road

Post 1

Effers;England.


It turns off the Old Kent Road on 'Watling street' and passes very close to me in Peckham..It goes down to Lewes on the south coast and passes very close to where I used to live in Ashdown Forest..you can see traces in places.

Ashdown Forest was exploited for iron ore by the Roans..you can see earth works of their smelting areas as well. The iron was used to make weapons and armour..a lot was transported to Rome hence the connection to the south coast.

There are traces in Peckham when it runs along straight bits of road.

It fascinates me how they exist just below the surface of our present world..but not as so much of the past archeology which is windy, bendy more organic of form, but as gun barrel straight lines in so many places.

Apparently Roman surveying techniques when they were building the roads across often hilly landscape were superb.




Key: Complain about this post

London - Lewes Roman road

More Conversations for Roman Roads In Britain Today

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more