A Conversation for The Connecticut Western Reserve and the Origin of Cleveland, Ohio

excellent !

Post 1

several, a/k/a random

i see you found the case western site.
moses cleaveland also reportedly made first Ohio landing in Conneaut at the river's mouth and spent the night anchored there, shooting muskets and swilling grog, and named the river and the city to follow. (that is supposedly in the ship's log.)
Ashtabula, the next river, is 'river of many fish'in Iroquois.
then the Grand River where a town named Fairport was later established, but the Chagrin River is named because A) ol' moses thought it was the Cuyahoga or B) 'shay-guin' in Indian dialect (that was around the border of the Iroquois and Erie nations.)
and then he hit what he was aiming for, the Cuyahoga 'crooked river' and an Indian summit grounds for the Seneca, Iroquois, Huron, Maumee, Erie and other tribes.
although there is now a statue of him in Public Square of downtown Cleveland, he never came back. it is also possible one G.Washington
had preceeded him in land surveys, horseback from Fort Pitt (Pittsburgh).
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - vampire


excellent !

Post 2

J

Georgie Worshington? Really? Wowzers. smiley - smiley I actually don't think I've heard that before, and it warms me up inside, even if it's just a possibility.

Grog smiley - yuk

smiley - blacksheep


excellent !

Post 3

several, a/k/a random

there was indeed a period of time--a year or two--that George traveled west and there is some documentation to Fort Pitt, and that he intended to travel further. as Fort Erie (Erie PA)is nearly due north, it is likely he headed that-a-way and, as surveyor, would have logged charts. one thing is for certain----Mose Cleaveland knew about Conneaut, and about the Cuyahoga River long before he got there. but, again, no documentation has been found.
smiley - musicalnote
smiley - vampire


excellent !

Post 4

loves_love

opened up my eyes!smiley - ok!
there are things i did not know!
smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Connecticut Western Reserve and the Origin of Cleveland, Ohio

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more