A Conversation for Descriptors for Sexual Minorities

I am a Lesbian

Post 1

Reality Manipulator

I have just come out at the age of 39 and would like help from other lesbians. I am very lonely and I do not know how to get in touch with other lesbians. I get very embaressed and I do not know how to get a girlfrined, please help me.


I am a Lesbian

Post 2

Mina

Have you seen m2m2? A290710
It probably won't help you to find a girlfriend, but you'll find other people on h2g2 who might be able to help you in your search. smiley - smiley

Good luck. smiley - rainbow


I am a Lesbian

Post 3

WebWitch

You can also try subscribing to magazines such as 'Diva', 'Curve' and 'Girlfriends', all of which cater to (predominantly) lesbians and (in a minority way) bi women. They all contain contact information for a variety of lesbian/bi groups, clubs, help-lines, and organisations, as well as personal ads for people seeking partners or friends. Another tack is to try online - there are a variety of mailing lists, message boards, and websites that help provide support and information to lesbians and bi women. Try typing your area and lesbian into the search engine and see what comes up. In your Yellow Pages or local phone book, there should also be ads for lesbian, bi, and gay organisations.

Coming out is a really difficult thing, and it seems to be harder the older you are - having built up a public identity and then tearing it down can be really quite traumatic. But there is help out there, and there are lots of people who would be thrilled to give you friendship and support. All the very best of luck to you! smiley - smiley


I am a Lesbian

Post 4

Reality Manipulator

Thank you for all the helpful advice.

I have not got a computer this got through tv email. Could I use the public library internet service?

How would I subscribe to these magazines?

There is only one helpline but that is aimed at the young and their parents.

Thank you for the support.

JA


Removed

Post 5

WebWitch

This post has been removed.


I am a Lesbian

Post 6

WebWitch

Well, I broke the House Rules by posting contact info for magazines and a switchboard. However, I am assured that if I just give you the web addresses, you can look up precisely the same info and I won't be in trouble smiley - smiley so here goes:

Diva (British magazine): http://www.divamag.co.uk/diva/

Curve (US magazine, available in UK): http://www.curvemag.com/

Both have subscription information right there on the front page.

Without knowing where you live (and I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable by asking), it's hard to look up resources, but the London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard phone number, fax number, and postal address can be found at http://www.llgs.org.uk/ The LLGS can provide you with information about resources in your area and nationally, and are really a wonderful resource in and of themselves. I am sure they'd be thrilled to help you out.

If you do have access to the internet (I don't know how TV email works, but your local library should have perfectly reasonable facilities), it would be a good idea to take a pad and pen and do searches for "uk lesbian resource", "uk lesbian support", or "[your area] lesbian", and see what comes up.

I hope this is of some use to you.


I am a Lesbian

Post 7

Reality Manipulator

smiley - tasmiley - ok


JA


I am a Lesbian

Post 8

Black-Eyed Girl... Sometimes the only sane answer to an insane world is insanity!

Hi,

First off, congratulations at coming out!!! It takes alto of courage to do so, especially with some of the narrow minded fools who still seem to think that homosexuality is contagious!

I realise that Im about a year too late to be truly helpful but if you can get hold of a GayToZ it'll give you EVERYTHING you would possibly need, from clubs and pubs to lesbian friendly (what a term) holiday destinations in every area of the uk. Your best bet for one of these is a gay pub tht does the Pink Paper.
As I say I know Im a bit late to be useful but I say my piece anyway Hope you find the woman of your dreams!

smiley - rainbow Will


I am a Lesbian

Post 9

eternalwytch

Go to www.butch-femme.com or www.shoe.org Both are good places to meet new people to talk to. I came out at 40, so I know how you feel. Good luck to you!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more