Babe Among the Stars

1 Conversation

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Babe Among the Stars, October

American astronaut Dr Charles Duke Jr was born on 3 October, 1935. He holds the title of the youngest man to walk upon the surface of the Moon. His plaudits include the NASA Distinguished Service Medal and South Carolina's 1973 'Man of the Year'.

4 October, 1957, marked the start of the Space Age with the launch of Sputnik I.

World Space Week is celebrated between 4 October and 10 October, and recognised in 50countries; this year the theme will be 'Exploring the Universe'.

To celebrate each year at the international level the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition
- the United Nations General Assembly

Dutch astronaut André Kuipers was born on 5 October, 1958. During his career he has spent nine days aboard the International Space Station.

Nikolay Chernykh was a Russian astronomer who was born on 6 October, 1931. Nikolay and his wife worked at an observatory in the Ukraine. Altogether he spent over 40 years discovering and cataloguing asteroids. Among the couple's discoveries were two periodic comets which bear their name. Nikolay passed away in May 2004.

On 10 October, 1967, the Outer Space Treaty became officially recognised. According to the United Nations Treaties and Principles on Space Law the treaty has been officially sanctioned by 98 countries with a further 27 pending. Among the edicts are: the domain of outer space, the activities carried out therein and whatever benefits might accrue therefrom should be devoted to enhancing the well-being of all countries and humankind.

October Diary Dates

  • 01: Mars 5° north of the Moon
  • 02: Venus 5° north of the Moon
  • 04: Antares (alpha Scorpii) 0.1° north of the Moon
  • 04-10: World Space Week
  • 07: Jupiter 2° north of the Moon
  • 14: Full Moon (The Hunter's Moon)
  • 20/21: Orionids  meteor shower maximum - anticipate up to 25 meteors per hour if conditions are favourable.
  • 25: Saturn 5° north of the Moon
  • 26: Venus 3° north of Antares
  • 27: Mercury 7° north of the Moon
  • 28: New Moon
  • 30: Mercury 4° north of Spica (alpha Virginis)
  • 31: Antares 0.06° south of the Moon - viewers in the Southern Hemisphere will witness an occultation.


  • Chat about your celestial observances by starting a new conversation below

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

25.09.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A41243104

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more