A Conversation for The HP Sauce Story

Expletive delish

Post 1

Recumbentman

Came across this charming entry by improbability drive. Most enlightening.

Though not named as HP, some brand of brown sauce features as a running gag in the film 'Intermission'. Dublin gangsters have a acquired a lorry-load of it (presumably by hijacking the wrong lorry) and they put it in everything they consume. Colin Farrell tries a large dollop in a cup of tea and pronounces it emphatically 'de-LISH'.


Expletive delish

Post 2

Icy North

Well thank you smiley - smiley

I went through a spell of writing about nostalgic food products. I'm glad you enjoyed it smiley - smiley

Do you not generally see brown sauce in Ireland, then?


Expletive delish

Post 3

Recumbentman

Oh we do, and HP particularly. I had heard that the young Harold Wilson was inspired to enter politics by the thought that he too could enter the Houses of Parliament as illustrated on his own dining table.


Expletive delish

Post 4

Icy North

I didn't turn that one up in my research smiley - smiley I only found the possibly incorrect story that he was addicted to it (which I mentioned)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more