A Conversation for Llanfairpwll­gwyngyll­gogerychwyrndrobwll­llantysilio­gogogoch, Anglesey, Wales

Technically speaking ...

Post 1

Robin Glas

In Welsh the letters ll, th, ch are classed as one letter, not two.
Llanfair PG therefore only has 52 letters.
'll' is said by sticking your tounge to the top of your mouth and blowing out.
'th' is said as in "Ruth".
'ch' is said as if you were clearing phlegm out of your throat!


Technically speaking ...

Post 2

Researcher 193901

Thank you for the pronounciations - I was looking at the name and thinking, " how the hell do you say that?? "


Technically speaking ...

Post 3

Researcher 204900

I really appreciate your pronunciation leads on the word. It is breathtaking the idea of just read it to my students at the lab.
I agree with the pioneering idea of finding a commercial and attractive name for the town. And lexically the term is very rich in meaning.
Helps the Welsh be known outside the British isles.


Technically speaking ...

Post 4

poduibhir

How right you are.

I raised this with the Guinness Book of Records in 1973 and they took the point. The story is at http://www.photopol.com/gbr/gbr.html.

If you enjoyed that you might also like to pay a visit to this piece of fouled up promo: http://www.photopol.com/signs/bta_cymru.html.


smiley - ale


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more