A Conversation for Jupiter

What I saw tonight

Post 1

Alfredo



Walking in the city I saw an old man looking at the stars with his telescope.
I had a chat with him and he wanted me to show something.
I sat down and looked at four big dots.
"They are the four moons around Jupiter" he said.

"This is LIVE man. Far better than the very best pictures by Hubble".

"Yes, I have that same attitude".

Today, Sunday, August 5th 2007, Amsterdam


What I saw tonight

Post 2

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

*peeks in from the INFO page ... with a tale*

In perhaps the summer of '88, we had guests to our 3rd-storey apartment. They had a pair of pre-teen children, so to entertain them a bit, I set up my inferior telescope of the balcony. They had a wonderful time looking at the nearly-full moon, and then I drove them home.

When I got home, I found my wife looking through the telescope, and she asked me what a certain "smudge" was. With a different lense, I saw that it was Saturn, and the rings were nicely visible. I had seen photos a-plenty, but nothing compares to that seeing it with your very own eyes. It is still a very special memory.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more