A Conversation for The Columbia Space Shuttle Disaster

Tragic!

Post 1

AlsoRan80


Dear Icy North,

I read your report on the Columbia Disaster. It has really given me the shivers.

You wrote it with such excellent suppressed emotion that you made the point - of PowerPoint - even more vivdly.

I am absolutely lousy at maths, but there are a lot of things which I would like to read which you have on your page. Would you mind if I put you on my friends list as this is the first time that I have "met" you and I think I still have so much to read and learn about.

I am very ancient and I find that reading on my computer is much easier than trying to read a book.

With many thanks for the very sensitive way in which you wrote this tribute to those oh-so-courageous crew members of Columbia.

Christiane
AlsoRan80.


Tragic!

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Christiane, and thank you for reading the Entry on Columbia. smiley - smiley

I'm not the first Researcher to write about it - Galaxy Babe wrote a fine tribute to the crew here: A1004743

And there's a fine picture of the crew here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030203.html

PowerPoint, or rather the way NASA used it, wasn't the only reason for the disaster, of course. I wrote about this aspect of it because I felt it wasn't widely known, and it's something that all of us office-workers need to understand (as we use PowerPoint regularly).

We have a joke phrase 'Death by PowerPoint' which we use when we're forced to sit through a really long and boring meeting with hundreds of slides. Sadly, the Columbia investigation had proved that phrase to be true. I did use the phrase in the Entry, but the BBC Editors removed it as they thought it was libellous.

I would be honoured to appear on your h2g2 Friends List. I will of course reciprocate.

Best wishes,

Icy smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Columbia Space Shuttle Disaster

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more