Vegetarian Restaurants in Burlington, Vermont, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Vegetarian Restaurants in Burlington, Vermont, USA

2 Conversations

Burlington is small friendly city in Vermont with a good reputation for entertainment. You can see good live music in dozens of places every night. There are at least three cool coffee shops in town. During the warmer months, there are street performers out and about on the downtown mall. Lake Champlain is great for boating, fishing, or gazing, and a bikeway goes from one end of town to the other, leading past some great views. There are community farms and gardens that offer fresh fruits and vegetables to their members for six months out of the year, and the local restaurants go out of their way to favour local produce in their menus.

Many of these restaurants cater for vegetarians.

Five Spice Café

On the corner of Church and King Street, Five Spice Café is the home of the best Asian cuisine in New England. Their comprehensive menu includes divine curries that can be made with your choice of meat, tofu, tempeh1, or seitan. Appetisers are available to satisfy both omnivorous and herbivorous predilections, and on Sundays the Dim Sum brunch is fabulous. The atmosphere is cosy and friendly and so is the service. Make reservations.

Ahli Baba's Kabob Shop

Ahli Baba's is situated on Main Street and looks like it's been there forever. The falafel is warm and soft throughout but crispy just on the outside. Their pakoras are just spicy enough to be perfectly complimented by the salad they are served upon. Sweet potato fries (chips) are a sinful treat and they're always fresh.

The Daily Planet

A vegetarian-friendly menu and a great drink menu as well. A 'dark and stormy' (ginger beer with dark rum) is a comfort in its own right. The Daily Planet is tucked into a side street just off the main foot traffic route, so you can be close to the busiest part of town and removed from it at the same time.

Leonardo's Pizza

It doesn't much matter where it is, as long as you are in their delivery area. While most pizzerias simply remove the cheese for their vegan or vegetarian customers, Leonardo's offers soy cheese on any of their pies.

Neci Commons

This restaurant is attached to the New England Culinary Institute. Their vegan selection is not vast, but it is fabulous. Since there are so many students doing the cooking, they are often willing to experiment or improvise for you. Their pastry selection is sheer temptation refrigerated behind glass, so be strong or surrender entirely.

Pacific Rim

Across from Town Hall Park, this small restaurant serves blissful concoctions and recipes. Their cranberry-ginger juice is perfect. They have a good selection of teas and beer. Everything on the menu is great and their sushi menu has some good vegetarian options.

Glori Nori

A well-respected street food vendor in Church Street, famed for their vegetarian rolls. Many local people go to Church Street specifically to order dinner from this wagon, and summer has not officially begun until it returns to the Marketplace.

Paradise Burrito

Underground and accessed from the Marketplace, this usually busy restaurant serves inexpensive vegetarian and non-vegetarian selections. Its tasty dishes and large portions make this a popular and easy place to eat.

Parima

One of the most elegant restaurants in Burlington. The atmosphere cannot be beaten and the food is even better. Once inside what appears to be an old modified house, you feel like you're in another world. It's a relaxing and fulfilling place to eat.

Penny Cluse Café

Probably the most popular place in Burlington in which to eat breakfast. In the heart of downtown, the dining area is surrounded almost entirely by glass, so you get to watch the city go by as you eat light pancakes, fluffy omelettes made to your specifications, fresh fruit, and drink fresh coffee, tea and juices. Penny Cluse Café also makes a good job of scrambled tofu.

Sai-Gon Restaurant and Lounge

Home to two great distinctions: a swank lounge and a superb vegan hot and sour soup. Their meals are delicately seasoned and nearly sublime in flavour. When they have live music, the lounge is packed. Packed or not, it is a sweet place to spend an evening and all of this at the most reasonable of prices.

Stone Soup

A home-like place to get some great and comforting food. The restaurant was named after a folk story. The story goes that a tramp convinces a village that he can make soup from a stone, if only they add some vegetables and seasoning to make it taste better. The villagers get so eager to see it that everybody donates an ingredient, and together they make a wonderful broth. The atmosphere in Stone Soup is redolent of the feeling those villagers must have had when they ate their own stone soup. All the baking is done on the premises. Their menu is slightly different every day, always a pleasure to discover, and usually vegetarian and vegan.

1Dictionary.com defines tempeh as 'A high-protein food of Indonesian origin made from partially cooked, fermented soybeans'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A395228

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more