A Conversation for The Kuiper Belt and The Oort Cloud

Nemesis

Post 1

Uncle Monty (nothing much going on here then)

I was thinking of making Nemesis the subject of my first guide entry, but I see you have discussed it here already. I find it fascinating and enjoyed your entry.


Nemesis

Post 2

Madent

It's an entertaining theory, but there is very little evidence to support it.

A respected astronomer (Dr Cathy Imhoff of the Space Telescope Science Institute) contributed an article to a learning resource managed by Scholastic Inc. that pretty much settles the issue of the fabled Planet X or Nemesis.

There are no other planets in the solar system. It should be noted that this does not rule out the existence of the Oort cloud, only the the mysterious planet.

BTW who suggested that most stars are binaries?


Nemesis

Post 3

ITIWBS

An alternative theory on the Nemesis cycle is that it is related to periodic passage of the solar system through the matter rich region in the plane of the ecliptic of the galaxy, since the periodicity matches that of the succession of the geological ages and the mass extinctions.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more