A Conversation for The Cambridge Footlights

Bacon Sandwich

Post 1

Iacko

"Well that's a funny name for a ferret."
I'd only ever heard the term "footlights" in the eposide of "The Young Ones" where they, representing Scumbag University go up against "Footlights." Was this a reaction by the former against the latter or a bit of inside mocking that was completely lost upon me as a teenager from acrossthe pond?
Up Scumbag!


Bacon Sandwich

Post 2

James Casey

Well the guy playing 'Bambi' in that episode (Griff Rhys Jones) and three of the Footlights people were actually in the club (not at the time - recent graduates). One of the participants, you may notice, is Emma Thompson...


Bacon Sandwich

Post 3

Iacko

It had been years since i'd seen the episode. Anyway, i thought Grif Rhys Jones was an anthropoligist. My Archeo of Australasia professor, a South African Woman whose name escapes me always ranted on about someone with a similar name. something to do with earliest dates of Human settlement of the Mid-Northern sections of the mainland. anyway, that's not all that funny, but i thought that this Anthropoloist was also a member of this club.


Bacon Sandwich

Post 4

James Casey

No idea what Griff Rhys Jones studied, but if it was Arch & Anth, that's no reason for excluding him from Footlights! smiley - smiley As a matter of fact, he was vice-president of the club in the mid-seventies and was in a revue directed by...wait for it...DNA.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more