Vienna's Bermuda Triangle (awaiting completion)

0 Conversations

(this entry is still in the making)

Vienna is one of Europe's oldest and largest cities, drawing millions of tourists every year. As a result, it sports a very large number of tourist attractions, often making it very difficult for the unsuspecting visitor to avoid stepping into one or the other tourist trap designed especially for him.
However, getting to know a city means getting to know its inhabitants' life-style, a task that is not easily achieved without some knowledge attained in advance.
This is certainly true for visiting Vienna, as well. However, there are several good ways of sneaking a look at authentic Vienna. One of them is to spend a night getting lost in the infamous Bermuda Triangle.
This is a euphemistic term for the old Jewish Quarter located in the centre of the city. It sports a unique architecture that is the direct result of the city's sad antisemitic past. As virtually anywhere in Europe, Viennese Jews were forced to live within certain designated perimeters, outside which they were not allowed to take up residence.
However, just like the rest of the city, the Jewish population grew in size over the course of time, and as a result, had to make do with what little space they were permitted to occupy.
The result was a crammed architecture as people were forced to make use of the tiniest little space to set up new housings.
(stay tuned for next week's episode!)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A364330

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more