A Conversation for Pretzels

So that's how you spell it

Post 1

You can call me TC

If I'd have known that this entry was here back in December 2000, I would have linked to it from my German Bread entry. A471340 (I'm not sure why the editor who edited it didn't do that - it doesn't even have the usual link to the "Germany" entries which the word "German" normally has.

This entry doesn't explain the shape of the Bretzel or Pretzel as you call it.

There are several stories explaining the shape, usually involving the three openings in the shape, which originate from various stories such as a baker being challenged to depict the Holy Trinity in bread form. Another version of the story I found here:

http://www.gemeinsamlernen.de/solill/Arbeitsergebnisse/Ess_Brot/regionale_brote/ulm/brezel?language=en

As to where the first Brezel shape was baked, the story in the link above indicates that it was possibly in Württemberg, others speculate that it originated in Munich.

The shape is also said to represent a loop of rope to symbolise the ropes tied around Christ at his trial and crucifiction. The Brezel is not always sold in the knotted shape, but sometimes as a simple circle, which is also known as a "Kringel" - thought to come from the English seaman's expression "cringle" for a loop of rope.

Other explanations go back to less Christian origins and interpret the Brezel shape as symbols of the old Germanic pagans, such as were found in Celtic tombs as burial gifts.

Still - this entry is now very old - even older than my Bread entry - and there's not a lot of point in talking about it. A new entry maybe? I'll think about it.


So that's how you spell it

Post 2

You can call me TC

On re-reading my Bread entry, I see that I touched on all the above, and also included the American spelling "pretzel". So it's all the more mysterious that my entry was not linked to this one.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more