Geneva, New York, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Geneva, New York, USA

5 Conversations

Located an hour north of Ithaca, an hour east of Rochester, and an hour west of Syracuse, Geneva is described as 'centrally isolated'. Geneva sits on the north shore of Seneca Lake, the middle finger of the Finger Lakes (also the deepest).

Once a booming town, Geneva has gone down hill since the New York State Thruway was built a tad too far to the north. Currently, the town is known for its Lake Trout and being the home of Hobart and William Smith Colleges.

Events in Geneva

  • Whale Watch - There are no whales at the annual Whale Watch in Seneca Lake. This is just an excuse to buy zeppoles1 and drink alcohol. However, there is always a good used book booth there.

  • Folk Fest - This happens every spring at the Colleges, where bands descend on the campus and play for three days. There is a rumour that the music is just an excuse to drink more alcohol.

Places to Drink

  • Sideshow has a fantastic jukebox and Ma, the legendary bartender, makes the strongest drinks allowed by law. Be very careful, she ain't that maternal.

  • Cosie's sign says it's something else, but it really is Cosie's. Half the excitement is finding it, the other is getting hard boiled eggs and drinking with the WWI vets.

  • Sonny's is the place to play pool and enjoy your drink in a bar that may be too nice for Geneva.

1Zeppoles are Italian-style donuts.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A352568

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more