A Conversation for Tax

UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 1

From Distant Shores

The entry mentions four of the main UK taxes, there are at least five other significant ones that are collected there.

The first is capital gains tax, collected on all gains with the exception of the taxpayer's primary residence. There is an annual tax free exemption.

The second is inheritence tax which is collected on anything you leave behind you. There is a large tax free allowance.

The third is a local property tax, it use to be known as "The Rates" but I've forgotten what it's called now.

The fourth is a tax on betting.

The fifth is a tax on insurance. There is no equivalent tax on life assurance.


UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

The whole "indirect taxation" bit was missed out (soz., I'll look at an addition when the dust settles).

The property tax went from being rates to the infamous and ghastly poll tax, to the not really much better community charge.

The insurance tax is, confusingly, a tax on insurance premiums - which I will include in an article on insurance if I have time (or can stand the tedium...it's bad enough having to program the blasted insurance rules without having to understand them *mutters*)

There's also stamp duty, car tax ...in fact, its quite clear that I could stand to do a bit more research here...except I'm becoming non resident in August so there smiley - winkeye


UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 3

From Distant Shores

Good luck with your "migration" in August. I have been non-resident since September 1997 and have the good fortune to be living in a lower tax environment.

It's not all plain sailing on the UK tax front though, you do have to be careful. The Inland Revenue can be a tricky fellow when he wants to be.

(-:

From Distant Shores


UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

You are right about "Hector" being downright tricky to deal with - though I think through innefficiency and stupidity rather than bloody-mindedness.
The thing that is tricky is that they might ask me to prove I'm moving abroad 'permanently', but the only way I can see of doing that is to die without having returned to the UK...but I'm sure there are other ways in the small print.


UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 5

From Distant Shores

Duncan

Don't get taken in by a convincing veneer of inefficiency or stupidty, Columbo has nothing on "Hector".

I became non-reisdent in October 1997 before the current laws were enacted but I think I did have to show that I expected to be out of the country long enough to qualify as non-resident. Is that what Hector is getting at by asking to prove the move is permanent ?

I'm afraid that the memory of the paperwork associated with being regarded as "normally non-resident" has faded in my memory. I was working for a multi-national at the time and had a two year expatriate agreement which was sufficient for me to be recognised as non-resident. I also seem to remember that it made a difference if you retained permanent accomodation for your own use as to whether you could claim to be non-resident or not.

I remember that it was more difficult to achieve "non-domiciled" status which does infer that you are more or less quitting Britain for good. The difference seemed quite esoteric and from my point of view there seemed little benefit in claiming to be not domiciled in UK. (This is probably a complete red herring).

Hector may be suspicious that you're move is to escape the newly wed Gordon's fiendish scheme to get more taxes out of freelancers because insufficient voted for the Labour party, New or Old. Hector doesn't seem to like it if he suspects your motivation is to avoid paying what he feels is your due.

Bon Chance

(-:

From Distant Shores




UK Taxes Overlooked

Post 6

Is mise Duncan

I actually came to Dublin before IR35 was even a glimmer in Gordon's beady little eyes, but my motivation for staying out does include the current "joined up government" nonsense...and how Dawn Primolo can give out about people avoiding tax when she herself didn't pay her Poll Tax when it existed....grrr. I note that the "Electronic Filing of Returns" still isn't running - perhaps they need to get some contractors in smiley - winkeye.

Anyhow - Hector seems to be reasonably easily dealt with. The "problem" is the Irish Revenue Commisioners who are on a crusade after being caught in some spectacular money laundering and tax evasion snafus and are not as convinced that I am here for totally legitimate reasons.

Still, what else could you expect from a country where the state-owned, license fee funded television channels also carry adverts!

I'm half worried that they won't let me naturalise my car without evidence as to its original list price...that would be a laugh.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more