The h2g2 Calendar - 6 - June Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The h2g2 Calendar - 6 - June

3 Conversations

Return to Calendar Main Page.

January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

1

  • 1464 - Between 1455 and 1499, England is torn apart by civil war, beginning with The First War of the Roses led by the houses of York and Lancaster.

  • 1533 - Anne Boleyn, second 'wife' of King Henry VIII of England, is crowned queen.

  • 1926 - In Los Angeles Hospital, one the world's most famous stars is born. Marilyn Monroe, born Norma Jean Mortensen, enters the world to become 'the photographer's dream'.

  • 1966 - A new dawn of technology emerges when The Apollo Project successfully launch Surveyor 1 and it lands on the Moon the following day.

  • 1967 - As US military presence continues to rise in Vietnam, Vietnam Veterans Against the War is born amongst the increasing distress.

  • 1970 - The native Indian protest occupation damages Alcatraz with fire.

  • 2001 - One of the strangest Royal murders takes place, when The Nepalese Royal Family is massacred in one day.

  • 2002 - Hanse Cronje, South African cricketer, dies when his plane crashes in the Outeniqua mountains.

2

  • Every year - Feast day of Saint Blandina, Patron Saint of those Falsely Accused of Cannibalism.

  • 1780 - In England, the Derby horse race is held for the first time.

  • 1925 - The New York Yankees make a wise decision and baseball legend Lou Gehrig becomes a regular member of the line-up, taking over first base.

  • 1941 - Sixteen years later, Lou Gehrig dies.

  • 1953 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's coronation takes place in Westminster Abbey.

  • 1966 - Surveyor 1 of the Apollo Project touches down in the Ocean of Storms.

  • 1983 - Canadian folk singer Stan Rogers dies, not exactly in an air crash, but in a mysterious fire aboard his DC-9-32 on its way to Toronto.

  • 2001 - Moribund Dipendra is crowned king for the day, following the massacre of the Nepalese Royal Family. It is possibly the shortest amount of time a king has reigned for.

3

4

  • 1487 - Henry VI claims the English Crown, in the Third War of the Roses.

  • 1785 - Jacob Grimm, eldest of the Grimm brothers, is born, heralding the birth of the Fairy Tale.

  • 1953 - The world premiere of the film version of Julius Caesar, starring Marlon Brando.

  • 1969 - Mexican tennis star Rafael Osuna dies in an air crash, when his Mexican Airlines Boeing 727 crashes near Monterey airport due to pilot error.

  • 1979 - Flight lieutenant Jerry Rawlings takes power in Ghana, west Africa, after a military coup overthrows general Fred Akuffo.

  • 2002 - Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Golden Jubilee, as mentioned in 'Unchained Melody'.

5

  • 1944 - D-Day Invasion forces head for the Normandy beaches, passing the Isle of Wight Radar Station, the only radar station to be destroyed in the British Isles during the war.

  • 1950 - American composer and performance artist Laurie Anderson is born. Her hits include 'O, Superman', 'Mister Heartbreak' and 'Home of the Brave'.

  • 1968 - Robert, the brother of JF Kennedy, is assassinated.

  • 1968 - The assassination of R. Kennedy is another demonstration of the unrest due to the Vietnam War.

  • 2003 - A severe heat wave across Pakistan and India reaches its peak, as temperatures exceed 50°C (122°F).

  • 2004 - Former American President Ronald Reagan dies.

6

  • 1813 - The Battle of Stoney Creek takes place during the Napoleonic Wars (The War of 1812 ).

  • 1977 - Queen Elizabeth lights a bonfire, starting the Silver Jubilee celebrations.

  • 1944 - A supreme effort of British forces brings about the events of D-Day.

  • 1966 - Gemini IX re-enters Earth's atmosphere.

  • 1999 - In Australian Rules Football, Tony Lockett breaks the record of 1,299 career goals set by Gordon Coventry in 1937.

  • 2002 - The everyday happenings of Weebl and sometimes Weebl's friend, Bob make their first online appearance with the ground-breaking episode, 'pie'.

7

  • 1538 - Marie de Guise summons her final council.

  • 1954 - Master of Artificial Intelligence and Computing, Alan Turing commits suicide by eating an apple laced with cyanide.

  • 1968 - Lego reaches new heights when LegoLand opens in Denmark.

  • 2001 - Tony Blair's Labour Party wins another landslide victory in the UK election.

8

  • 632 - Mohammed, founder of Islam, dies in Medina.

  • 1846 - Julian Workman becomes the first known owner of Alcatraz.

  • 1969 - President Nixon meets the president of South Vietnam during The Vietnam War Protest.

  • 1969 - The El Salvadoran national team plays Honduras in a fateful match, and war ensues.

  • 1984 - Homosexuality is declared legal in New South Wales, Australia.

  • 2004 - The Transit of Venus is the biggest astronomical event of 2004; the previous transit occurred in 1882.

9

  • 68 AD - Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide.

  • 1537 - Louis II of France dies.

  • 1870 - Great British author Charles Dickens dies.

  • 1897 - The town of Bradford is granted city status.

  • 1902 - The first complete performance of Mahler's third symphony eventually takes place in Krefeld, Germany.

  • 1968 - US president Lyndon B Johnson declares a national day of mourning following the assassination of senator Robert F Kennedy.

  • 2006 - World hitchhiker Kinga 'Freespirit' Choszcz dies aged 33 in Accra, Ghana, after having contracted cerebral malaria.

10

11

  • 1937 - A Day at the Races is released for The Marx Brothers.

  • 1959 - Comedian, actor and writer James Hugh Calum Laurie, or Hugh Laurie as he is better known, is born in Oxford, UK.

  • 1962 - The 13th escape attempt from Alcatraz, perhaps the most famous of all.

  • 1963 - The 35th President of the United States of America, John F Kennedy, delivers the 'Civil Rights Address'.

  • 1972 - Six people are killed in a London rail disaster near Eltham Well Hall, when the intoxicated train driver took a bend far too fast.

  • 1986 - The Amnesty International tour includes The Police who play in Atlanta.

  • 2002 - US Congress acknowledges Antonio Meucci as the first inventor of the telephone.

12

  • 1381 - During the Peasants' Revolt in England, rebels arrive at Blackheath.

  • 1593 - 'Venus and Adonis' is registered in the Stationers' Register, by Christopher Marlowe.

  • 1701 - The Act of settlement is signed by Queen Anne.

  • 1878 - William Cullen Bryant, known as the 'Father of American Poetry', dies in New York City in the same month he had predicted for his death in his poem 'June'.

  • 1920 - Peter Jones is born.

  • 1929 - Anne Frank is born; her diaries go on to be world-famous.

  • 1980 - Billy Butlin, famous for the Butlins Holiday Camps dies.

  • 1999 - Alex Ferguson receives a knighthood in recognition of his services to English football.

13

  • 1483 - Gloucester accuses Hastings of treason, and has him executed without trial.

  • 1865 - Irish poet and dramatist William Butler Yeats is born to Protestant parents in Sandymount, County Dublin.

  • 1928 - Mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr. is born in Bluefield, West Virginia.

  • 1952 - An unarmed Swedish radio surveillance plane disappears over international waters in the Baltic Sea. Search parties spark Russian 'retaliation'.

  • 1970 - 'The Long and Winding Road', which features on the Beatles' final album Let it Be, becomes the band's last number-one single.

  • 1970 - Nixon establishes the 'President's Commission on Campus Unrest' due to Anti-Vietnam Demonstrations.

  • 1971 - The New York Times begins publishing a series of articles based on top secret Pentagon papers.

  • 1996 - Cal Ripken Jnr. becomes the first Oriole to hit six times in one game, two of which are home runs.

14

15

  • Every year - The Feast day of St Germaine, the Patron Saint of the really ugly.

  • 1215 - The Magna Carta is signed in Runnymede, England.

  • 1608 - Thomas Hill and Robert Raynor claim to have seen a mermaid, as noted in the logbook of Captain Henry Hudson.

  • 2002 - The asteroid 2002 MN near-misses the Earth by 75,000 miles, about a third of the distance to the Moon.

16

17

  • 1715 - Margrave Karl Wilhelm founds the city of Karlsruhe, Germany.

  • 1963 - The US Supreme Court rules against allowing the reciting of Bible verses and the Lord's Prayer in public schools.

  • 1972 - Five burglars break into the Watergate complex to steal information, under direction from Richard Nixon.

  • 1977 - Vancouver's SeaBus ferry service goes into service.

18

19

20

  • 1887 - Queen Victoria celebrates her Golden Jubilee today and tomorrow.

  • 1941 - The Big Store by The Marx Brothers is released.

  • 1991 - The German parliament decides to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.

21

22

  • Every year - The first day of the Cancer sign period.

  • 1897 - Queen Victoria celebrates her Diamond Jubilee.

  • 1971 - The US Senate passes a non-binding resolution urging the withdrawal of all American troops from Vietnam by the end of the year.

  • 1994 - Douglas Adams's daughter Polly is born.

  • 2002 - An earthquake in western Iran, measuring 6.5 on the Richter scale, kills more than 261 people.

23

  • 1912 - Alan Turing, inventor of the computer, is born.

  • 1961 - Patrice Lumumba becomes the Democratic Republic of Congo's first and only elected Prime Minister.

  • 1964 - Television and Film Writer Joss Whedon, perhaps best known for his Buffy the Vampire Slayer scripts, is born.

  • 1988 - James Hansen testifies to the US Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources that it is 99 per cent probable global warming has begun.

  • 1996 - The Nintendo 64 is released in Japan.

24

  • 1314 -The English are defeated by the Scots at the Battle of Bannockburn.

  • 1813 - The Battle of the Beaver Dams takes place in The War of 1812.

  • 1907 - The Marx Brothers make their debut appearance, as 'Ned Weyburn's Nightingales'.

  • 1948 - As a response of the Western Allies to the blockade on West Berlin by the USSR, the Berlin Airlift started.

  • 1995 - South Africa defeat New Zealand in rugby union's World Cup - the first major sporting event in South Africa since the end of apartheid.

25

26

  • 1460 - Warwick, Salisbury, March and 2000 troops land in support for the Lancastrians in The Wars of The Roses.

  • 1483 - Gloucester accepts the throne and the reign of Richard III begins.

  • 1778 - Washington finally decides to attack the British troops as they advance towards New York during the Battle of Monmouth.

  • 1870 - Wagner's Opera Die Walküre, the second part of the Ring Cycle, is premiered at the Court Theatre in Munich.

  • 1927 - The Cyclone roller coaster opens on Coney Island, New York.

  • 1963 - JF Kennedy makes his world famous 'Ich bin ein Berliner' speech, declaring himself to be a doughnut.

  • 1964 - The Beatles' first album that contained entirely original material, A Hard Day's Night, is released in the USA.

  • 1975 - English conductor Basil Cameron, the quiet Maestro, dies at Leominster in the County of Herefordshire, England.

27

  • 1722 - John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough, considered to be one of the greatest military geniuses England has ever produced dies at home in Blenheim Palace.

  • 1863 - General Richard Ewell's forces reach the outskirts of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in the American Civil War.

  • 1969 - Life magazine displays portrait photos of all 242 Americans killed in Vietnam during the previous week.

  • 2001 - Pope John Paul II beatifies 28 Ukrainian Greek Catholics, most of whom were killed by the Soviet secret police.

28

29

  • 1908 - John Hench - the official artist of Mickey Mouse - is born.

  • 1911 - Film Composer Bernard Herrmann, perhaps best known for his soundtrack to Psycho, is born.

  • 1956 - Marilyn Monroe marries Arthur Miller.

  • 2002 - US vice-president Dick Cheney serves as president for two and a half hours while George W Bush undergoes a colonoscopy procedure.

30

  • 1960 - The Congo is granted independence from Belgium, with Joseph Kasavubu as President and Patrice Lumumba as Prime Minister. Shortly afterwards the Congolese Civil War starts.

  • 1977 - Menachem Begin becomes Prime Minister of Israel.

  • 1977 - Virginia Wade wins the women's singles title at Wimbledon - the last British champion to date.

  • 2002 - The last day stamps with only DM values printed on them are valid; also, French banks and post offices will no longer be required to exchange French francs (remaining coins and notes must be exchanged by the Banque de France, within three years).

Next Month


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A3382058

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more