The h2g2 Calendar - 11 - November Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The h2g2 Calendar - 11 - November

3 Conversations

Return to Calendar Main Page.

January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

1

2

3

4

5

6

  • 1935 - The Hawker Hurricane makes its maiden flight.

  • 1947 - Four people are killed and 34 are injured in a London rail disaster when two trains collide at Motspur Park in heavy fog.

  • 1986 - Sir Alex Ferguson is appointed manager of an underachieving football club called Manchester United.

  • 1999 - Australians vote in a referendum to keep the British monarch as head of state.

  • 2002 - The United Buddy Bears project is dissolved.

7

  • 1580 - The bombardment of Fort Del Oro begins.

  • 1872 - Captain Briggs sets sail from New York aboard The Mary Celeste.

  • 1917 - First day of the Bolshevik Revolution.

  • 1918 - A world influenza epidemic spreads to Western Samoa, killing 7,542 people (about 20 per cent of the population) by the end of the year.

  • 1939 - The HMS Swordfish leaves Portsmouth, never to be heard from again.

  • 1942 - The Memphis Belle is sent into active duty for the first time.

  • 1993 - Formula One driver Eddie Irvine debuts for Team Jordan at the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide.

  • 2000 - The US Drug Enforcement Administration discovers one of the largest LSD labs inside a converted missile silo in Wamego, Kansas.

  • 2001 - The Concorde is back up and running following a fatal accident.

8

  • 1519 - Hernán Cortés enters Tenochtitlán and Aztec ruler Moctezuma welcomes him with great a celebration as would befit a returning god.

  • 1674 - Poet John Milton dies in London.

  • 1847 - Author Bram Stoker is born in Dublin.

  • 1895 - While experimenting with electricity, Wilhelm Röntgen discovers the X-ray.

  • 1917 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics - second day of the Bolshevik Revolution.

  • 1935 - Charles Kingsford-Smith dies in an air crash while he attempts a new England to Australia speed record with his Lockheed Altair and runs into a monsoon.

  • 1939 - Georg Elser attempts to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

  • 1942 - Anne Frank and her Diary - News arrives of English landings in Tunis, Algiers, Casablanca and Oran.

  • 1960 - John Fitzgerald Kennedy beats Nixon and Lodge to win the election.

  • 1967 - BBC Local Radio goes on the air with Radio Leicester.

  • 1971 - Led Zeppelin release their (untitled) fourth album.

  • 2000 - A decision is made to discontinue the The Higgs Boson experiment.

9

10

  • 1842 - The USS Somers reaches Liberia.

  • 1938 - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Turkey, dies.

  • 1947 - Greg Lake, the British musician of King Crimson and then Emerson, Lake and Palmer fame, is born.

  • 1965 - Formula One driver Eddie Irvine is born.

  • 1967 - Surveyor 6 finally lands in the moon's Sinus Medii.

  • 1975 - The SS Edmund Fitzgerald sinks, and Singer/Songwriter Gordon Lightfoot writes his well-known ballad commemorating the men claimed in its sinking.

11

12

  • 1630 - Marie de Medici fails in her attempt to have Cardinal Richelieu removed, on the 'Day of Dupes'.

  • 1656 - Poet John Milton marries Katherine Woodcock.

  • 1929 - Actress Grace Kelly, later to be Princess Grace of Monaco, is born, as mentioned in Billy Joel's song 'We Didn't Start the Fire'.

  • 1936 - An incident at the General Motors plant triggers the Sit-down strike in Flint, Michigan.

  • 1981 - The Space Shuttle Columbia becomes the first spacecraft to be launched twice.

  • 1982 - Yury Andropov is elected chairman of the The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics' central committee.

  • 1988 - A rail crash - two collisions involving three trains - at Clapham Junction in London kills 35 people and injures hundreds.

13

  • 1002 - English king Ethelred orders the killing of all Danes in England, known as the St Brice's Day massacre.

  • 1642 - During the English Civil War, the Battle of Turnham Green takes place, possibly the most decisive non-battle in English history.

  • 1945 - The Glenn Miller band play their last ever concert, despite the disappearance of their bandleader.

  • 1974 - Karen Silkwood is killed in a car crash.

  • 2000 - Vice-president Al Gore effectively concedes defeat in the US presidential elections.

14

  • 565 - Emperor of Byzantium Justinian dies aged 82, having reigned 38 years.

  • 1907 - Author Astrid Lindgren is born.

  • 1922 - The first daily broadcasts by the BBC started from Marconi's studio in London.

  • 1930 - Wrestler Big Daddy is born Shirley Crabtree Junior.

  • 1939 - The HMS Britisher is driven on to Brighstone Ledge in a fierce gale.

  • 1940 - During World War II, the UK city of Coventry is heavily bombed by the German Luftwaffe. The cathedral is almost completely destroyed.

  • 1948 - Prince Charles, firstborn son of Their Royal Highnesses Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, is born at Buckingham Palace, London.

  • 1956 - The Hungarian Uprising ends after ten days of fighting, with a new Soviet-backed government in power.

  • 1957 - The Apalachin Meeting outside Binghamton, New York, is raided by law enforcement officers and many high-level Mafia figures arrested.

  • 1959 - John Fitzgerald Kennedy writes an article for TV Guide Magazine about TV as 'a force that has changed the political scene'.

  • 1972 - War and Protest - the US in Vietnam (1972 - 1975) - Nixon sends a letter to President Thieu, pre-empting severe military action.

  • 1974 - Amityville Horror or Fantasy - The Defeo Murders are committed.

15

  • 1871 - The Cassandra is driven ashore.

  • 1932 - Author Luke Rhinehart is born George Cockcroft.

  • 1941 - Heinrich Himmler issues orders that all homosexuals in Germany be deported to concentration camps, with the exception of certain top Nazi officials.

  • 1967 - Gemini XII re-enters the Earth's atmosphere.

  • 1988 - The first Fairtrade label, Max Havelaar, is launched in the Netherlands.

16

17

  • Every year - Approximate date of the Leonids meteor show.

  • 1919 - King George V of the UK proclaims Armistice Day (later Remembrance Day) as 11 November. The idea was first suggested by Edward George Honey.

  • 1934 - Lyndon Baines Johnson marries Claudia Alta Taylor.

  • 1938 - Singer/Songwriter Gordon Lightfoot is born.

  • 1957 - Thought by many to be the inspiration for the Norman Bates character in Psycho, Ed Gein is arrested.

  • 1997 - In Luxor, Egypt, 62 people are killed by Islamic militants outside the Temple of Hatshepsut. It becomes known as the Luxor Massacre. The police kill the six assailants.

18

  • 1421 - A seawall at the Zuiderzee dyke breaks, flooding 72 villages and killing about 10,000 people in the Netherlands.

  • 1901 - The first public performance of Mahler's fourth symphony takes place in Munich, Germany.

  • 1920 - The grave of The Unknown Warrior is closed, a week after the funeral.

  • 1939 - Writer Margaret Atwood is born.

  • 1948 - A train driver and a passenger are killed in a London rail disaster when a train crashes into the back of another after it passes a red signal.

  • 1967 - Lunar Orbiter 2 begins operations.

  • 1987 - 31 people are killed in a fire at the London Underground station King's Cross, which was caused by a dropped cigarette butt.

  • 1991 - In Lebanon, Anglican Church envoys Terry Waite and Thomas Sutherland are finally set free by their Shiite Muslim kidnappers.

19

20

21

22

23

  • 1499 - In the Third War of the Roses, imposter/invader Perkin Warbeck is hanged.

  • 1859 - Billy the Kid is possibly born on this day.

  • 1914 - The US army retreats from Mexico.

  • 1963 - The first episode of Doctor Who is broadcast.

  • 1973 - Luckily nobody is fatally injured in a London rail disaster at Paddington station, when a high speed service from Penzance derails after failing to slow down two miles brefore reaching Paddington.

  • 1980 - A series of earthquakes in southern Italy kills approximately 4,800 people.

  • 1984 - Many passengers are hopitalised with smoke inhalation after a fire breaks out on the London Underground Oxford Circus station.

  • 2001 - Moral Crusader Mary Whitehouse dies.

24

25

  • 1638 - Catarina Henriqueta de Bragança, Princess of Portugal and later Queen Catherine of England, is born on St Catherine's Day in Vila Vicosa, Alto Alentejo, Portugal.

  • 1853 - Poet Alfred Tennyson and his wife, Emily, move into Farringford.

  • 1870 - French painter Maurice Denis is born in Granville, a coastal town in Normandy.

  • 1872 - On the Mary Celeste, Captain Briggs, along with his family and crew, mysteriously abandons ship.

  • 1959 - Charles Kennedy, former leader of British political party the Liberal Democrats, is born.

  • 1960 - John Fitzgerald Kennedy's son John Fitzgerald is born.

  • 1961 - 'Black Sunday' for Coventry City Football Club, as the team loses to a non-league side in the FA Cup competition.

  • 1963 - John Fitzgerald Kennedy is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

  • 1984 - Musicians gather in a Notting Hill studio in London to record Band Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas', to raise money for famine relief in Ethiopia.

26

  • 1504 - Juana (la Loca) of Castille's daughter Isabella dies.

  • 1842 - On the USS Somers, Commander Mackenzie is made aware of a mutiny plot, and makes an arrest.

  • 1870 - Nine people are killed in a London rail disaster at Harrow when a train passes a red signal and crashes into the back of another train.

  • 1922 - Cartoonist Charles M Schulz, creator of the legendary Peanuts comic strips, is born.

  • 1951 - The 'Little Armistice' is declared in the Korean War, as mentioned in Billy Joel's song 'We Didn't Start the Fire'.

  • 1983 - In London, 6,800 gold bars worth nearly £26 million are stolen from the Brinks Mat vault at Heathrow Airport.

  • 2003 - Concorde makes its final flight over Bristol, England.

27

28

29

  • 1817 - The first steam-powered Staten Island Ferry Nautilus makes its maiden voyage, eventually pushing the sail-powered ferries out of business.

  • 1898 - Author and academic CS Lewis is born.

  • 1908 - Adam Clayton Powell Jr - Activist and Politician is born.

  • 1950 - United Nations forces are forced to retreat from North Korea.

  • 1954 - Joel Coen, the US film director, producer and writer, is born.

  • 1975 - Britain's famous racing driver Graham Hill dies in an air crash when he is piloting his Piper Aztec from France to a party in London.

30

Next Month


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A3378512

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more