A Conversation for Reggae

Reggae in Jamaica

Post 1

Cabby

Just got back from two weeks out in Jamaica and had a great time while I was out there. However, I have to say that while reggae might be the heartbeat of the Jamaican people, it's very easy to get too much of it!
Every radio station, every bar, every club seems to play nothing else so, while some of it does sound great, I would have thought that even the most hardened reggae fan would want to hear something else after a few days..

Strangly, the only place where reggae wasn't the only music you heard was rafting down the Rio Grande where Harry Belafonte still seems to be the favoured choice of the various guys along the banks...


Reggae in Jamaica

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Cabby, excellent info.... and splendid news about the on-going popularity of Harry smiley - bigeyes

There used to be a couple of other forums linked to this yarn, alas, it appears they have not been moderated yet.


Reggae in Jamaica

Post 3

Cabby

I think where I struggled was trying to make sense of the very fast spoken patois which seems to be the prevalent form of Dancefloor reggae out there right now. When you can't understand a word of what people are singing it's tricky to tell one Dancefloor track from another!

It was just working up to Carnival time when I was there (which I guess has finished now) and every favourite track was greeted by loud barking from the crowds, so they could obviously tell the difference! Best we could do most of the time was just wait for the Shaggy tracks to come on (as at least there are slower, more western, bits in them!)

Anyway, the Bob Marley video at the Bob Marley Museum in Kingston is irie! The reggae-master at his best.



Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more