Amerigo Vespucci

1 Conversation

A TV Presenter on a quiz show 1 said America is unlikely to have been named after Amerigo Vespucci as they never named places after people's first names unless they were monarchs2.
Yet for centuries it has been widely believed that this man had North and South America named after him.

Early Years

Born on 9 March,1454, to Stagio and Elizabetta Vespucci in the city-state of Florence Italy, Amerigo was the third of four brothers.


During his childhood, the very studious Amerigo read and collected maps and knowledge. He could hardly have expected that one day two continents would be named after him.


His first job was working under a banker for the Medici family. His heart was not into commerce and he studied and dreamed of doing something else.

During the years 1478 to 1480 he represented the city state of Florence in the court of King Louis XI of Paris.
Three years after that his father died and he returned to working in commerce. In the course of his profession he travelled to Spain. He was well into his forties when he made this trip; and it was in Spain that he was offered and accepted his first position on a ship, that of a navigator3 .

The Voyages

It was seven years after King Ferdinand had sent another explorer Christopher Columbus out searching for a westerly route to the Indies when Vespucci made his first voyage. Three ships set out from Cadiz, Spain in the spring of 1497 bearing Vespucci as the navigator for this group. This was the most northerly of his voyages travelling up North America and then returning to Spain in October.


In 1499 he set a more southerly course and followed the Brazilian coast past the Amazon river. Once again failing to find an opening to the Pacific he returned to Spain in poor health.
The next year he went to work for Portugal and sailed out of Lisbon. This time he went down to the Plata River and returned via the South Georgia Islands.

Among the textbooks that Amerigo read as a young man was probably a Greek text by Ptolemy. For many centuries this was the definitive encyclopaedia on geographical and astronomical knowledge. Another work of literature was one by Dante Alighieri who wrote in his epic poem 'The Divine Comedy'

I turned to the right hand, and gave heed to the other pole and saw four stars never seen save by the first people.

Amerigo recalled these words when traveling along the Brazilian coast and saw far on his southern horizon four stars that he said were in the 'shape of an almond'. On his next expedition (1501-02) he was the First Mate and travelled as far as the mountains of Tierra Del Fuego. During this voyage he drew a sketch of six stars that most people agree are Crux
(the southern cross) and α and β Centauri

In 1503 as Captain of his own expedition he gave up on the southerly route and looked for a way west along the Southern shore of the Caribbean. Reaching the Atrato river he traveled far up river gathering pearls and gold to take back to Europe. This was shortly after another explorer Vasco Nunez de Balboa had taken a similar route. It would however be 1513 before Balboa would ever see the Pacific Ocean and 1520 before Magellan would sail on it.

Naming a New Land

Columbus never realized that there was another ocean (the Pacific) between the land he found and Asia. Amerigo never saw the Pacific either, but by celestial mechanics and the application of mathematics he computed a circumference of the world within 50 miles(80 km) of its real size; and deduced that what he was looking at was a hitherto unknown continent. He used the word 'the new world' to describe it while others just said 'terra incognito'4.


Amerigo wrote and published accounts of the lives and culture of the natives in this new world, and his accounts caught the imagination of a German mapmaker, Martin Waldseemüller, who accepted Amerigo's judgement that this was new territory and labelled it 'America'! 5 Soon other map-makers followed suit, and in 1538 (26 years after the death of Amerigo Vespucci) a world map was published by
Gerardus Mercator
including two continents that he labelled 'North and South America'.

Later Years

In 1505 Amerigo married Maria Carezo but had no children. Amerigo was fifty-four at that time. Then a few years before his death he opened a school to teach seamanship and in 1508 was given the title 'Piloto Mayor de Espana' which translates as Pilot Major and signified that he was the head of the Spanish Navy.

Amerigo Vespucci died on 22 February, 1512, of malaria, and was buried in Seville, Spain.

1QI hosted by Stephen Fry.2The Quiz show host seems to have overlooked places like Martha's Vinyard (named after an early explorer's mother), Gregory Town in the Bahamas, or Port Arthur, Texas (named after Arthur E Stilwell).3The navigator is an officer aboard a naval vessel. He must know how to compute the ships position and advise the Captain about possible hazards enroute. Prior to the invention of modern electronics this was done by means of visual sightings of the Sun and Stars.4Unknown Land.5 Others later claimed that he used a map from another source where the land had been named after Richard Amerike .

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A32964230

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more