A Conversation for Common Irish slang

More?

Post 1

salicyclic (keeper of worn out leather army boots)

banjaxed - that word makes me think of my boyfriend (because he says it all the time, not because he is banjanxed)

another one he says a lot is yoke, which i think means 'thing'.


More?

Post 2

Lash LeRue

"Yoke" does mean thing,as does "bob"


More?

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Yep - I got "banjaxed", but for some strange reason, I left out "yoke". smiley - blush - Pretty obvious one to miss! Thanks!


More?

Post 4

salicyclic (keeper of worn out leather army boots)

it was reading 'banjaxed' that got me thinking of yoke - he also says something along the lines of 'up ye biyah' whenever we're at the pub - no idea what this means.

btw - loved the interesting tidbit about the the spelling of crack/craic - i'd only ever seen it spelt the second way, and had totally assumed it was in gaelic.


More?

Post 5

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

<<"Yoke" does mean thing,as does "bob">>

There is also the word yokeymabob, which I believe means thingymajig.


More?

Post 6

Woodpigeon

craic? Yep - I had some detailed discussions with Recumbentman about this when I was writing the article, and he's right, pretty much. The spelling "craic" is actually a really recent phenomenon - it used to be "crack" until a drug by the same name appeared on the scene. Suddenly expressions like "God, we had great crack at the party on Saturday" were tantamount to a sacking offense!


More?

Post 7

Nightfever

Oh good, someone else already brought up the lack of yoke/yolk in the article. smiley - smiley

I remember using it while talking to english mates once and them not having a clue what I was saying. I'd never known it was an irish-only thing until then.

And, yes, the crack/craic thing...I remember having seen it spelt "crack" while a child, but then I grew up with it as "craic". Seemed weird, but I never really thought about it.


More?

Post 8

Nightfever

plus:

http://overheardindublin.com/

and

http://overheardincork.com/

for more english as she should be spoke...


More?

Post 9

nilllios

On the crack v craic thing, I have always spelled it craic, and remember it being used in Irish books in school (Craic agus Spraoi). I have also seen it on a pub in the Gaeltacht in the 80s (Craic agus Ceol above the door) so I don't think it is a 90s thing.
It's possible that it became the more accepted version of the spelling in the nineties. Maybe prior to that it was just used by Gaelgoirs?


Key: Complain about this post