A Conversation for Cowboy Church

cowboy church

Post 1

notgnostic

Howdy --
I'm a female pastor (United Methodist) in Texas who has visited several "cowboy churches." What makes these special is that they hearken back to a simpler, truer time in American history. Folks who visit usually comment about how "real" the worship seems. Music, rather than being the traditional hymns with instrumentation by organ and piano, is practically always 'country gospel' or 'Christian country-western.' Often a genre called 'bluegrass' (fiddle and banjo) is included. The atmosphere is folksy, 'down home,' with lots of decorative items to remind one of the cowboy era. Actually, there are a lot of American cowboys and cowboys practicing the lifestyle. The phenomenon of "Cowboy Church" is still a tiny blip on the radar screen of Christian worship, but it is growing across the U.S.


find a cowboy church

Post 2

ccnwebmaster

You can now look for a cowboy church and see how many there are at http://www.cowboychurch.net. Feel free to look in the help section to read articles by Cowboy Preachers. Please add your cowboy church if it is not listed.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more