Cowboy Church Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cowboy Church

3 Conversations

In the cattle breeding areas of America, notably Texas and Tennessee, there is a phenomenon called 'Cowboy Church', which is a genuine Christian worship service, albeit aimed at cowboys.

Prominent among these are the ones held at Nashville, Tomball, Cottonwood, and Fort Worth. The Fort Worth Cowboy Church is held at the Fort Worth stockyards at noon on Sundays, which is convenient for those who stay up late Saturdays. It is reputedly the only church service that the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce knows the meeting time for.

The main differences between Cowboy Church and any other church are:

  • Sermons are at most ten minutes long.

  • There's a lot of guest music by people with cowboy hats and guitars.

  • Men often wear hats throughout the service.

For centuries the rule in established Christian churches was that men were not to wear hats in church. Women, however, had to keep their heads covered, presumably as a sign of their subservience. Nowadays this complete two-part rule is enforced in very few churches, and Cowboy Church is not one of those few.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A322327

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more