A Conversation for The 1970s

Minor points of order

Post 1

oldgit

An excellent piece, with just one or two little errors:

1) The pirate radio stations were made illegal in 1967 and only Caroline continued into the 70's. They sprang up because we were ill-served by the BBC Light Programme, with the notable exceptions of Saturday Club and Easybeat. When Radio One started in 1967 it was manned (and I do mean MANned) by a goodly number of ex-pirates, Kenny Everett being one of them, as was John Peel. I don't remember any problems listening to Radio One other than like everything else it was on the medium wave.

2) Hair cuts - certainly by the mid-70's woman were not the only ones in the hair boutiques. As a pretentious chap in my early 20's I had my hair cut at Vidal Sasoon, amongst others. And I certainly wasn't the only man there.

3) Wages - in 1970 I changed my job. I left the firm of accountants where I was earning £10 per week for a job where I earned £15 pounds a week. I could only dream of £126 per month.

Minor quibbles - sorry.


Key: Complain about this post

Minor points of order

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more