A Conversation for Ibn Khaldun - Anthropologist/Sociologist/Historian

Ibn Khaldun

Post 1

kikujiro

Interesting entry and great to be tackling important figures from the Islamic world. One or two things that I might point out (in my humble opinion).

> While we often think of the middle ages as a time of ignorance and superstition and of the Muslim world as scientifically backward.

Do we? It's widely known the Muslim world took over the mantle from the Classical world. Perhaps we should also review of stance of the so-called 'Dark Ages' and understand that peoples such as the Anglo-Saxons had a highly advanced and democratic method of ruling and weren't quite as 'backward' as we imagine.

> discarded by Europeans.

Aristotelian philosphy continued to be taught well into the 6th century. Classical works were not discarded but rather stored in the libraries of Constantinople and continued to influence Christian thought throughout the medieval period. The conquest of Constantinople in the 15th century by Muslim Turkish armies forced a shift of classic knowledge westward to Italy where it played a formative role in the Renaissance.

If there are any links to Arab histories or timelines that would be really helpful.

These points are just my own view but more of this kind of stuff should be encouraged. Thanks for enlightening me.


Ibn Khaldun

Post 2

flyingtwinkle

He is Abdurahman bin Muhammad bin Muhammad bin Muhammad bin Al-Hasan bin Jabir bin Muhammad bin Ibrahim bin Abdurahman bin Ibn Khaldun.and at the age of 19 aplague spread and it was a turning point in the life of khaldun a scholar who became a politician


Ibn Khaldun

Post 3

loveboat

ibn khaldun was a close confidante of many rulers.he wrote his famous works towards the end of his life


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ibn Khaldun - Anthropologist/Sociologist/Historian

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more