Lacrosse Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Lacrosse

4 Conversations

Lacrosse is a field game played by two opposing teams, with a ball and a special netted stick called a 'crosse', with which the ball is caught, carried, and thrown. The game, originally played as training for warfare by the Native Americans of North America, and called baggataway, was adopted by the French-Canadians. They called the head of the stick used in the game la crosse because it resembles a bishop's crosier or cross.

Equipment

Men's lacrosse is played on a field 60 yards (55m) wide and 110 yards (100m) long, including a 15 yard (14m) clear space behind each goal. In women's lacrosse there are no boundaries, but a field of 120 yards (110m) by 70 yards (64m) is used. The goals are pyramid-shaped nets that are open at the front, and fastened to the ground about 7 feet (2.1m) beyond the goal line.

The ball is of hard rubber, generally 7 - 8 inches (20cm) in circumference and weighs about 145 grams. Men and women players carry a stick, or Crosse, that measures 40-72 inches (102 - 183cm) long for men, and 36-44 inches (92 - 112cm) long for women. The stick is hooked on top, with strings woven of clock string or linen cord strung diagonally across the hooked portion to form a net. Players in field lacrosse today use a stick that has an aluminium, graphite, or wood handle. Only the goal keeper's crosse may exceed a width of 10 inches (25cm).

The uniforms commonly worn are jerseys, shorts and cleated shoes, and protective equipment for the men includes helmets with steel wire face guards, light shoulder and arm padding, and gloves similar to those worn in ice hockey.

The Players

Men's teams include a goalkeeper, three attackers, three midfielders, and three defenders. Women's teams are composed of six defensive and six offensive players.

Attackmen

Fast, agile, and armed with three-foot sticks, they are placed on the opponent's side of the field and their only purpose in life to fire shot after shot until the goalie is rendered a squeaking mass of broken armour.

Midfielders

Commonly known as midis, these players also wield the 3 foot attack stick, but are permitted to play on both offensive and defensive sides of the field. Midis are the tireless workhorses of lacrosse, sprinting endlessly to assist defenders when the tides of war turn against them, and to aid the attackmen when an opportunity presents itself.

Defenders

These guardians of the field carry the titanic six-foot defence stick. Stationed at strategic points, these players do nothing except find the ball, and badly damage the opposing player who is carrying it. It is often said that after being hit by a defender, one does not need an undertaker.

Goalie

Often considered insane, these human walls play with a stick that varies in length, but which is approximately four feet. Their job is to defend their triangular goal which covers 36 surprisingly small square feet. To defend the honour of their position, they are required to take substantial punishment. Although equipped with a crosse (usually with a larger net), the goalie may defend with hands and body as well.

Substitutions are allowed in the game, and once substituted, a player can be substituted back if necessary.

The Rules

Lacrosse is generally considered a spring sport, to be played in all weather. The object of the game is to send the ball, using the stick, through the goalposts of the opposing team. Each goal counts one point, and the team scoring the most goals is the winner. If men's teams are tied at the end of 60 minutes, they play four minute sudden death overtime periods until a goal is scored. If women's teams are tied, they play two three minute overtime periods. The team scoring more goals in that time wins. If the score is still tied, the game continues in sudden death format.

Starting the Game

The game starts with a face off. In the men's game, two opposing players in the centre of the field with their backs to their own goals, hold their crosses on the ground and have the ball placed on the ground between them. At a signal from the referee, they draw their crosses towards themselves, the faster of the two picking up the ball. The women's game begins differently, with the ball held between the sticks of two opposing players. At the referee's signal, the players try to gain possession of the ball.

The ball in Play

The ball, which is never to be touched with the hand, can be caught, carried, thrown with the crosse, and may be passed in any direction. Long throws are possible but are seldom tried due to the embarrassment caused by the ball falling out of the crosse in mid-swing. The player usually runs with the ball until it can be passed to a nearby member of the team. A player may jar another player out of position or stop that player from running by a body check, if the other player is about to receive the ball or is carrying it. Body checks may not be made from behind, and players making the check must not hurl their bodies through the air, but must keep one foot on the ground in thrusting their bodies against another player. A player may also use the crosse as a tool to dislodge the ball from the crosse of an opponent. No physical contact is permitted in the women's game.

Free Throws and Fouls

The ball is in play anywhere within the confines of the field and in the clear space behind the goals. If the ball is thrown out of bounds, or if a player in possession of the ball steps on or over a boundary, a free throw is given to an opposing player who receives the ball in his or her crosse, and play is started when the referee whistles. Free throws are not given within 20 yards of either goal. Technical fouls (minor infractions of the rules of the game) are punished by suspension of the offending player from the game for 30 seconds, or by awarding a free throw to the opponent. Personal fouls, which are of a more serious nature, are punished by suspension from the game for one to three minutes. Examples include tripping or pushing an opponent, an illegal body check, slashing or unnecessary roughness. The penalty for fouls in the women's game is a free position. Defenders must be three yards behind the player with free position. That player may then attempt a shot on goal or pass to a team mate. No time penalties are assessed under the rules for the women's game.

Variations of the game

Pop Lacrosse

This version of lacrosse is played to introduce young people to the skills needed for the game. The stick is about the same size as that used in women's field lacrosse and the net on the end is made of moulded plastic. There are five players and a goalkeeper on a team and teams can be mixed boys and girls. The field used is about the same size as a hockey court, with the goals set up about five paces from the end line. Stick checking is permitted but body checking and slashing1 are not and result in a two-minute penalty. The game is divided into two 20-minute halves. If the ball goes out of the court, control is passed to the opposing team.

Street Lacrosse

This version is almost identical to pop lacrosse, except it is played on skates like in roller hockey. The game is slightly longer, being divided into two 30-minute halves.

1Hitting your opponent with your stick.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A307919

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more