A Conversation for Particle Accelerators

Splitting

Post 1

x25

Correct me if i am wrong, but was it rutherford that split the atom? He managed to get to the internal structure using an alpha particle bombardment on a gold foil. Got the Nobel prize for it (i think). But fission was credited to Otto Hahn.


Splitting

Post 2

Cefpret

Rutherford gained information about the inner structure of matter and won a Nobel prize for it. However he left the gold atoms perfectly intact.


Splitting

Post 3

Wick

The two people who first split the atom were two of Rutherfords research assistants, Cockroft and Walton. Off the top of my head I cannot remember much more about them, but I could check if you're interested.


Splitting

Post 4

Cefpret

You're right, but fission is a process by which you can gain energy, and this is only possible with atoms beyond iron. Cockroft and Walton split a lithium atom.

To be honest, I didn't know Cockroft and Walton. Thank you for having filled this gap!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more