A Conversation for James Bond - The Fate of the Other Double 0s

001-009

Post 1

manolan


Why do you think the films assume there are nine?

Although we have various numbers popping up from time to time, there doesn't seem to be an assumption that they are all in use all the time. In fact, I think the Living Daylights is the only time that more than two appear in a film. However, that particular film would seem to imply there are at least 4, rather than Fleming's 3.

I don't see Q as 001 really. Although not especially clear in the films (perhaps comes across in the Dalton films), the 00 prefix pretty much makes Bond an assassin. The licence to kill isn't just an incidental thing, many of Bond's missions have it as a specific objective. Somehow, I don't see Q in that role! Or at least, not the cuddly Q from the films.


001-009

Post 2

Demon Drawer

The reason is purely subjective. The double O's from 1-9 have only be used in the films and must have overlapped in numbers since the order of appearance is not 1-9 but intermittant. In the books 001 002 and 003 were the frist three ageants and whne they were killed off they were surplanted by higher numbers. The fact that 4 double O appear in the film suggests the section is no longer confined to merely 4. Anyway this is the complete fates thus far.

Bond will be back....


001-009

Post 3

Demon Drawer

As for Q that is complete conjecture as the article says maybe we'll never know the ID of 001. However Q's knowledge of field requirements suggest there is more to the cuddly charector than he lets on. ANd somehow no matter how bizarre they may seem at the start they always come in handy an assaisins knowledge perhaps. smiley - winkeye


001-009

Post 4

Flyboy

I would think that M, being over the double ohs, is probably 001. Don't you think that M certainly has a license to kill? But then M doesn't seem to have been promoted from within double oh, if you go by the movies (notably Goldeneye). Q branch appears to be separate from double oh, but complements it, so I don't think Q was ever a double oh. A knowledge of the field is necessary, but Q is always dissapointed when Bond breaks something. If he had been a double oh he'd probably be a bit more understanding.


001-009

Post 5

Demon Drawer

Yeah but there are careful Double O's see 008. Maybe Bond is just the most destructive of the lot. I mean most assasinss just go in and get the Job done. See Groose Pointe Blank.


001-009

Post 6

Bluebottle

I'm sure that in the books there were only the few 00s DD mentioned.
In "Casino Royale" (film), though, you'd probably end up with 00s up to 42 as practically everyone is Bond...


001-009

Post 7

Buick Regal

Which Casino Royale? The one with Wally Cox and Orson Welles, or the one with Barry Nelson and Peter Lorre?


001-009

Post 8

Bluebottle

The Peter Sellers, David Niven, Ursulla Andress and Orson Welles one. smiley - winkeye

<BB<


001-009

Post 9

Si9mon

Based on the books, specifically moonraker, there are only three double o agents; 007, 008, and 0011.


001-009

Post 10

Demon Drawer

I think that is mentioned in the article.


001-009

Post 11

Kev

You've overlooked the scene from Thunderball where all of the double 0's are gathered in a hall and being briefed by M and other government people.

I counted at least 8 or 9 seated in a semi circle.

So I think we can assume that the double 0 section has 1 to 9 at any one time.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more