A Conversation for Drystone Walls

drystone walls

Post 1

Leonard Squirrell

I found some astonishing images of the drystone walls constructed by a certain artist named ANDY GOLDSWORTHY - an extroadinary fellow and no mistake. They are well worth checking out. Throw his name in to copernic or google search engines or look for one of his books; 'Stone' is the one with the drystone walls, though he has other books (mostly images) called wood, earth and water.

He also made the dryston arch for the HQ of the Circe (or Cirque) de Solei in Canada. Great photo pf that one on the web somewhere (but just where exactly I cannot recall - I have a copy of the photo if anyone is interested in telling me how to post it).

LS


drystone walls

Post 2

Researcher 192310

Hi, my name is Donald Gunn, I am a professional drystone waller, and Instructor, and have produced a number of sculptures for comission, in uk and abroad.
Yes indeed, there is more to dry walling than just a means of containing sheep, wet or otherwise!
Andy Goldsworthy is the best known artist in drystone, however,less is known about the waller craftsmen who build the sculptures for him...
As well as sculpture, it is becoming very popular both with architects, landscapers, and hobby wallers.

For more info go to dswa.org.uk.

Any budding wallers/ sculptors can come on one of my courses,I cater for both hobbyists and those seeking a professional qualification.
I live in northumbria, and also provide walling holidays in the beautiful hill country round here, and, no it hardly ever rains TOO much round here..it has its own micro climate.

Contact through dswa.org.uk. go to.professionals..northumbria,dgunn where you can also enter my website, or a new one under construction at drystone-walls.com} or email [email protected]

A fun day out is guaranteed learning this ancient craft, now being used in a modern context.

Best wishes
Donald.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more