Pork Tamales - 'Tamales de Carne de Cerdo' Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Pork Tamales - 'Tamales de Carne de Cerdo'

1 Conversation

Tamales are a traditional Cuban dish. They are made of cornmeal and flavoured with pork and garlic. They are rolled out, tied up and cooked in corn husks.

Ingredients

  • Banana leaves or corn husks. Soak dried corn husks in water before using
  • 3 cups ground corn or 2 cups of corn plus one cup of yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork cut in small pieces
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 1/2teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup red wine or sherry

Method

  1. Mix corn with water and strain thoroughly.
  2. Sauté pork until browned.
  3. Using the same fat, sauté the garlic, onion and green pepper until translucent.
  4. Add the tomato sauce and wine and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  5. Add the pork and vegetables to the strained ground corn.
  6. Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Take two of the corn husks and overlap them flat on the table. Spoon the corn mix into the center of the husks and then fold the cornhusks over and around the meat. Tie them with string.
  8. Fill a large pot half full of water and bring to the boil. Gently drop in the tamales and bring the water back to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A283358

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more