Cuban Roast Pork: 'Lechon Asado' Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cuban Roast Pork: 'Lechon Asado'

1 Conversation

Roast pork is a traditional Cuban dish. It can be cooked with garlic, marinated in Mojo or used as an ingredient in a Cuban Sandwich. Roast pork is particularly tasty in Cuban sandwiches; which are made of sour dough bread, roast pork, cheese, dill pickles, mayonnaise and mustard.

Ingredients

  • 3 lbs boneless centre pork loin roast, with skin on
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • The juice of two oranges, one lemon and one lime, mixed together
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup Spanish olive oil

Method

  1. Mash the garlic and salt together with a pestle and mortar. Add the dried oregano, onion and fruit juice to the mix and stir thoroughly.
  2. Heat the oil in small saucepan, add the mix to the oil and whisk.
  3. Pierce pork roast as many times as you can with a sharp knife or fork.
  4. Pour garlic mixture (save a little for roasting) over the pork, cover the meat and leave it to stand in the refrigerator for two to three hours.
  5. To cook: Preheat oven to 450°F.
  6. Place the pork skin side up in an open roasting pan.
  7. Place pan in oven and reduce temperature to 350°F.
  8. Occasionally baste the remaining marinade over the roast while it cooks. It takes about one and a half hours for a three-pound roast to cook.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Edited Entry

A283321

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more