A Conversation for Socialism

No Subject

Post 1

Pixie

Okay so today i was just a looking through the guide entries and stumbled across socialism and other related entries...(after all i find it difficult to lift my feet high enough to step over social ideologies) ...well anyhow, reading people's entries arguing for/against capitalism/socialism was to me like the arguments that go round my head when it is all by itself. How do some people reach the end of the cycle of arguments with themselves and come out of it proclaiming that they are either socialist/capitalist? Am i alone in knowing that all i know is that you can always argue with valid and good points against either standpoint.
Honestly, is either approach really a good plan for the future, from a purely practical approach, surely if we actually manage to help the poor countries to become like the west and everyone can have a car and a house, the world would collapse under the strain?! am i missing something?
Is it really the most effective use of our finite earthly resources to have several different companies all competing to manufacture the same products, and not only that to keep inventing new markets for items which noone knew they wanted until they were made? I can't see how that is at all a sustainable way to develop.
Socialism that is not the new breed which works through capitalism, sounds lovely, but seriously can people who at the moment mostly require financial reward to drive them to do what is needed to be done, really progress without this capitalist drive? How would it work? Can a truly egalitarian society provide enough drive and reward for human beings?
Can a country be socialist alone, in a capitalist world? Isn't it time time we had true global government anyway? How else can the so-called world policeman be itself subject to the same rules as everyone else?
obiviously this page is littered with question marks...i would love for someone to help me to answer them, which ever side your bread be buttered.Which turn of phrase makes me wonder...does it matter which side we butter our breads if it will always land butter side down anyway?


No Subject

Post 2

Eldendir Crowfoot

Apparently it does if you have a cat tied to the buttered bread. In theroy you could get the cat/bread to hover......?


No Subject

Post 3

Tango

Interesting theory...

I have replyed to the post *with* the subject line, btw. Anyone else should probably do the same.

Tango


Thread Moved

Post 4

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community' to 'Socialism'.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more