A Conversation for King Henry VIII

Henry VIII?

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

We've noticed a few gaps in the Edited Guide where it comes to English / British Kings of England, so I'm starting a few Conversations here to see what we can pick up.

Tell us anything you know about Henry VIII.


Henry VIII?

Post 2

UD_bmas

6 wives: 3 Catherines, 2 Annes and a Jane.smiley - silly


Henry VIII?

Post 3

whitec

The Pope (I forget which one) gave him the title "Defender of the Faith" shortly before he decided he needed a divorce that the Catholic Church wouldn't give him, and so he started the Church of England. Not sure what he did to get that title, but the fact that he was the one who got it stuck in my brain from the sheer irony of it.


Henry VIII?

Post 4

frenchbean

Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived.
smiley - smiley


Henry VIII?

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I need more feedback for this to justify the graphic I already have prepared smiley - smiley


Henry VIII?

Post 6

Old Hairy

Jimster, not wanting to hijack anything, but could BB's collaborative be tried?


Henry VIII?

Post 7

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Anything that improves collaboration is a good thing. Having discussed this project a little further, the only concern I have about that is the security issue. But in the meantime anyone who has something to contribute is free to join in here. If there's enough support for the topic, we'll be running it as a Topic of the Week anyway though...


Henry VIII?

Post 8

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

Security is no longer as big an issue as it was at the beginning, and collaboration on such an interesting topic as Henry VIII would be a good thing... as nobody has been using what I have set up for a long time...


Thread Moved

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Challenge h2g2' to 'King Henry VIII'.


Thread Moved

Post 10

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Just thought I'd move this thread over to the Topic of the Week for this subject. If anyone fancies using the material here for a collaborative entry, feel free.


Thread Moved

Post 11

Serephina

He apparently had a lodge just up the road from me ,but I've never been able to find out the exact location.


Thread Moved

Post 12

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

A bit of googling threw up a couple of good results:

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/leisure/artsentertainmentculture/culture/localhistoryheritage/historicbuildings/addingtonpalace?a=5441

http://www.addington-palace.co.uk/


Thread Moved

Post 13

Boxing Baboon (half here an half there )

he was fat


Thread Moved

Post 14

Watermusic

Only in his old age, when his ulcerous leg prevented him from exercising.
As a young man he was very active playing tennis, hunting, jousting etc.
He was exceptionally tall for the age he was born in - over 6' - and a superb athlete. I think a suit of his armour is in the Tower of London.


Thread Moved

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Henry VIII had a huge collection of musical instruments which he was able to play.


Thread Moved

Post 16

Boxing Baboon (half here an half there )

And he became forgetful in his later years


Key: Complain about this post