A Conversation for 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac

trilogy

Post 1

mistersnappy

I was under the impression that 'on the road' was one of a trilogy. Any ideas what the other two books were called?


trilogy

Post 2

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

The first one is 'Desolation Angels', which is the story of Kerouac's life just before the publication of 'On the Road' (as told through his fictional self, Jack Duluoz).
The second would be 'On The Road', and the third one is 'Big Sur', which continues the adventures of the (older but certainly not mellower) wandering beatnik Jack Duluoz.


trilogy

Post 3

DoctorGonzo

...although, at the beginning of Big Sur, I'm sure there's an introduction by Kerouac in which he says that his work is all of a big series.

Is Go/The Beat Generation by John Clennon Holmes available anywhere?


trilogy

Post 4

django

After reading these three, you should try 'Off The Road' by Carolyn Cassady. It's her autobiography about her life with Neal and Jack, giving you a fresh view on the events in 'On The Road'.


trilogy

Post 5

DaRC (cook, cocktail maker, cyclist )

Subsequent to reading all those four it would be worthwhile reading
"The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe which describes Neal Cassidy & Ken Kesey leading 'The Merry Pranksters' over America.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more