A Conversation for Wasps

Wasps

Post 1

Ste

I'm a biologist who looks at the genetics of these little wasps which attack greenfly who are trying to eat all our crops. These wasps are really useful, so they shouldn't all get the bad press of the little yellow and black buggers.


Wasps

Post 2

Researcher 33337

A useful wasp, who'd have thought. Is it actually related to our common or garden wasp, or is it a similar looking bug which was badly misnamed before our age of reason.


Wasps

Post 3

Ste

No, it's a wasp. From the Hymenoptera, same family as bees, wasps and ants. Theyre tiiiiiny, can be about 2mm long. They're called parasitoid wasps. They're mean little buggers, they paralyse their hosts, lay an egg inside them. Then the larva hatches and eats the host alive. Y'know 'Alien', the film, that had a life cycle of a parasitoid.

Fortunately i mash them up and extract all their DNA. Karma that's called.


Wasps

Post 4

Ste

The wasps, not the aliens.


Wasps

Post 5

Ste

The wasps, not the aliens.


Wasps

Post 6

Researcher 33337

I've heard of those things, really nasty I knew they wouldn't be completely nice. Wasps, of course not Aliens.


Wasps

Post 7

Researcher 188007

How not to get stung by wasps: act naturally. They will not sting you. Show fear by flapping around like a loony and yes, you'll p**s the wasp off too.

Wasps are beautiful wee creatures. Their shape has inspired the Italian moped design 'Vespa' (which is of course 'wasp' in Italian).


Wasps

Post 8

Ste

Jack!

I totally agree. Wasps are stunningly little things. I am always stunned at how mechanical they look.

Stesmiley - earth


Wasps

Post 9

Researcher 188007

Hi Ste smiley - smiley

I'm going through the Edited Entries, starting backwards from Z! Blimey - there are a lot of W's...

Jack


Wasps

Post 10

Ste

Really?

Blimey, that's a bit extreme innit? What, are you bored or summat?

smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - earth


Wasps

Post 11

Researcher 188007

Oh, I'm only reading the ones that look interesting. Hmmm... werewolves...


Wasps

Post 12

Ste

I was going to say! "Over 4,000 entries!?!?!" that is...

Phew


Wasps

Post 13

YompeR

I was hoping for something about Posh east coast, old money families in the USA!


Key: Complain about this post