A Conversation for The Campaign to Abolish Slavery Part One: Am I Not A Man And A Brother?

Amazing

Post 1

alysdragon

Just read the whole thing, think that it's wonderful and brilliantly researched. My only slight concern is talking about the way that Quakers did not use 'you' as it was 'informal and therefore flattery'. 'You' was the formal type of address, and could therefore be considered flattery as it was addressed to equals or superiors, whereas 'thou' was only said to inferiors, or those one was intimate with. 'You' became the common form during the 17th C in Britain, with 'thou' being used in some devotional stuff to show intimacy, rather than distance, with God. But, I can see why the Quakers would only use 'you' for God and 'thou' for all others, if they refused to use 'mister'. Sorry about all that, the article is excellent, but I didn't want something that minor compromising its integrity.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Campaign to Abolish Slavery Part One: Am I Not A Man And A Brother?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more