Zip Miniboils Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Zip Miniboils

3 Conversations

Zip Miniboil, invented in Australia, was designed so well that the use of average kettle urns may well die out from tea rooms and offices across the country, in accordance with the theory of 'natural appliance selection'.

The Miniboil is a wonderful addition to the everyday work office. It provides an endless supply of hot, boiling water to the never ending masses of employees racing to get their next cup of tea or coffee.

A normal urn or kettle needs to be filled up with water all the time, so users must keep topping them up. This means, considering the general level of organisation in most offices, that the urn is permanently empty, cold, or about to blow up because the element is exposed and hot. The chances of there actually being hot water waiting for you are, well, slim to none.

The Zip system is attached to the water supply via a pressure valve that admits fresh water when needed into a large reservoir which is kept at exactly 99°C, to prevent the water from turning to steam while still in the system, which would make it explode. The result is an on-tap stream of water at the perfect temperature for making tea at all times.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A218873

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more