A Conversation for Reading, Berkshire, UK

Reading, Maidenhead, or??

Post 1

SunKing

Hi All,

I'm moving to the UK next month and my company is located in Maidenhead. I'm trying to decide where I should focus my apartment hunting on...Essentially I'm looking for something that's 25 - 30 minutes away from work, but preferably a little cheaper than Maidenhead. The place I choose will also have to have quick, excellent access to London (like Maidenhead) and be relatively safe. Also, since I'm 32 and single, a little nightlife would be nice, although with London close by, I know it's not as much of a concern. I'm definitely considering Reading, although the reviews here are very mixed indeed. Also, is it a mistake to assume that Reading is cheaper than Maidenhead?

Any general advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

The Sun King


Reading, Maidenhead, or??

Post 2

wimblin

You can access the local paper on the net at www.getreading.co.uk This will have properties for sale and rent in it so you can get an idea of prices. The nightlife is varied. The town centre has loads of bars and there's plenty of places to eat. See guide entry on The Oracle. There are some quieter pubs with real ale if thats your thing but only if you know where to find them. There is a cinema in the town centre and venues to see bands, plays, comedy acts etc. Public transport is pretty good in and around Reading and the local bus company now run a night bus service. Be warned though, lots of the buses no longer give change so you'll need the exact money.

Reading does have its share of crime so be careful where you go and live if you decide to move here.

Hope that's a help.

smiley - tasmiley - cheers


Reading, Maidenhead, or??

Post 3

Andy

SunKing.....6 years on, what did you decde to do eventually?

Andy(Reading Dwelling Towns Person)


Reading, Maidenhead, or??

Post 4

Andy

SunKing.....6 years on, what did you decide to do eventually?

Andy(Reading Dwelling Towns Person)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more