Perfect Mashed Potatoes Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Perfect Mashed Potatoes

9 Conversations

To the West, the potato is much like the cow to the Hindu religion: revered it is allowed to grow wherever it pleases, sometimes disrupting traffic for seasons at a time. Mashed potato is the highest form of the potato.

Ingredients

  • 6 medium Idaho potatoes, all of which should have been treated with the utmost respect during their lifetimes as a tuber, and which should be slightly below room temperature.

  • 4 cups of boiling water.

  • 2 stalks of the greenest celery, with the leaves intact.

  • 2 cloves of the smelliest, most pungent garlic cut in half.

  • 1 small white onion, chopped in half.

  • 2 or 3 tablespoons of the finest unsalted butter in the land.

  • 1 cup of unpasteurized cream, which has come from free-range, happy cows.

Method

  1. Peel the potatoes, taking the utmost care to remove only the skin and not the flesh.

  2. Put the vegetables carefully into the water, taking care that no water splashes out of the pot. Don't put the potatoes in yet.

  3. Give the potatoes a warm bath in lukewarm water to get them acclimatized to warmer temperatures. Put the potatoes, carefully, in with the vegetables and water. Add salt to taste.

  4. Cover the pot and put it on medium heat until the potatoes are cooked - usually it will take 20 - 40 minutes.

  5. Once the potatoes are done, drain off the water, put the vegetables and potatoes in a bowl, carefully, and put in the cream, carefully, and the butter, carefully, and carefully mash it all up with a potato masher and serve.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A217487

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more